My custom iTerm2 patch and build.
DEPRECATED: Consider using the latest iTerm as most the changes in this patch have been added/improved upon upstream.
- Hides the standard window title bar
- Modified tab bar
- Moved the close tab button and new-output indicator to left of the tab label
- New title format which shows either the title or the job name
- New advanced options found under Preferences > Advanced: (Search for “borderless”)
- Standard window buttons horizontal/vertical offset: Change the position of the window buttons and title bar.
- Window title format: Set a custom title format
- Set cursor foreground color: Set whether to change the cursor foreground color
- Duration before cursor starts blinking: Set a duration for when the cursor should start blinking after it has moved
Vertical cursor widthYou can now change the cursor width by setting Vertical bar cursor width Extra window paddingYou can now change the margins in Preferences > Advanced > General Reverted to slightly bolder font smoothingSet Preferences > Profiles > Text > Use thin strokes for anti-aliased text to Never
Download the latest release and copy
/Applications, or apply the patch yourself. (Open an issue if it fails so I can update the patch)
Patch it yourself
1. Get iTerm2-borderless
git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/jasonwoodland/iTerm2-borderless.git
2. Get iTerm2, patch and build
cd iTerm2-borderless make
If building fails, you might need to set the development team in Xcode. Open the Xcode project file with the open command below, and change the team under General > Signing > Team
Then try building again:
Move the app to
4. Set preferences
In the patched build, go to Preferences > Appearance and disable Show line under title bar when the tab bar is not visible
Next, go to Preferences > Advanced
Set the terminal margins
- Height of top and bottom margins in terminal panes
- Width of left and right margins in terminal panes
Set the title bar margins
- Standard window buttons horizontal offset
- Standard window buttons vertical offset
Still having trouble?
If iTerm still doesn't look right, try copying over the sane plist file: (it creates a backup of your current prefs file)
Then restart iTerm.
- Override preferences which break the patch for people (also override margin: 0)
- Fix dragging tabs appearance
- Fix title bar bug in fullscreen
- Fix tabs disappearing after fullscreen