Cakifo is a free WordPress theme built with from the rock-solid Hybrid Core theme framework by Justin Tadlock, so it provides a great starting point with many useful features..
This theme is a parent theme. What this means is that to customize it, you should be creating a child theme. Is it a theme framework? Some people might call it that. All you need to know is that it's a solid, yet flexible, starting point for any blog.
- Requires at least WordPress 3.1
- Tested up to 3.2
- Child theme friendly - Nearly everything can be customized in a child theme
- Uses Hybrid Core as framework
- Custom front page with slider, recent posts, and posts from categories
- Per-post layouts that allow you to quickly change the layout of your site
- Post setting that allows you to add a custom stylesheet for individual posts
- Built-in pagination
- Killer post thumbnails function that work with WordPress' featured image functionality and provide extra features
- Multiple sidebars that you can customize however you like
- Fully internationalized, so you can run the theme in any language (Danish and french are already added!)
- Uses the built-in WordPress menu system
- Context-aware action and filter hooks, so you don't have to learn WordPress conditional tags
- Many useful shortcodes
- Small theme settings page (yes, that's a feature)
- Ability to create custom templates for any post type in multiple ways
- Highly-configurable widgets that give you full control over their display
- And much, much more!
(yes, the features are totally stolen from Justins' themes)
Since Cakifo is a parent theme, you'll want to create a child theme if you plan on making any customizations. Don't know how to make a child theme? It's relatively simple.
Just follow the steps shown in the Wiki
Cakifo is licensed under the GNU General Public License v2.0
- Hybrid Core by Justin Tadlock
- Slides by Nathan Searles
- Equal Heights In Rows by Chris Coyier
- Premium Pixels for the topbar
- Wolforg for french translation
- And others! More people are credited in the source
I can help a bit with support for this theme. But Theme Hybrid has a Theme Club where you'll get the benefit of access to all of the tutorials and documentation and complete read/write access to the support forums. The support package exists to get you up and running as quickly as possible, and they have a great community of people willing to help each other out.