The original iCal to Remind script, first released in 2005.
Reads iCal files and outputs remind-compatible files. Tested ONLY with calendar files created by Mozilla Calendar/Sunbird. Use at your own risk.
In 2005, this was released with the Gnu Public License V2. However, I am changing it to the MIT License, since that provides greater freedom to do with this code what you want.
Copyright (c) 2005, 2007, 2019 Justin B. Alcorn
How I use Remind and Google Calendar together
- My family has a Google Email domain, and our email addresses all end in the same domain. We all use Google Calendars and I want to mail reminders to each of the family members containing both Google Calendar and .reminder information.
- Under my ~/.rem/ directory each family member has a directory. Each directory contains a standard remind file called 'reminders' that at the very least has the line "INCLUDE /home/jalcorn/.rem//ical2rem" and flag files indicating whether they want Daily or Weekly reminders. My reminders files references my standard .reminders file, and I also have a flag so if I run a Test run I'll get it. There's actually a lot more files (I have a big family).
./rem ./son1: drwxrwxr-x 2 jalcorn jalcorn 4096 Dec 12 14:02 . drwxr-xr-x 12 jalcorn jalcorn 4096 Dec 12 14:13 .. -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 51 Mar 3 06:10 ical2rem lrwxrwxrwx 1 jalcorn jalcorn 33 Oct 27 2016 son1.ics -> /home/jalcorn/calendars/son1.ics -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 976 Dec 12 14:02 reminders -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 0 Oct 27 2016 Weekly ./justin: drwxrwxr-x 2 jalcorn jalcorn 4096 Feb 27 08:29 . drwxr-xr-x 12 jalcorn jalcorn 4096 Dec 12 14:13 .. lrwxrwxrwx 1 jalcorn jalcorn 32 Oct 27 2016 son1.ics -> /home/jalcorn/calendars/son1.ics -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 0 Nov 7 2016 Daily lrwxrwxrwx 1 jalcorn jalcorn 34 Oct 27 2016 family.ics -> /home/jalcorn/calendars/family.ics -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 37320 Mar 3 06:10 ical2rem lrwxrwxrwx 1 jalcorn jalcorn 34 Oct 27 2016 justin.ics -> /home/jalcorn/calendars/justin.ics lrwxrwxrwx 1 jalcorn jalcorn 24 Nov 7 2016 reminders -> /home/jalcorn/.reminders lrwxrwxrwx 1 jalcorn jalcorn 34 Oct 27 2016 vmd.ics -> /home/jalcorn/calendars/vmd.ics -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 0 Oct 27 2016 Test -rw-rw-r-- 1 jalcorn jalcorn 0 Nov 7 2016 Weekly
- bin/getgooglecals.sh runs out of crontab and downloads whatever calendars I want. Note that we can also download organization calendars, I've included a public one here (Cleveland Heights Vocal Music Department calendar).
- dailyreminders.sh is linked to weeklyreminders.sh and testreminders.sh so I can run it in different modes. The concatenate the various calendar outputs as a single remind file then send the reminders via email.
Example: .rem/son1/reminders file:
INCLUDE /home/jalcorn/.rem/defs.rem INCLUDE /home/jalcorn/.rem/float INCLUDE /home/jalcorn/.rem/son1/ical2rem fset _weeks() coerce("STRING", (trigdate()-today())/7) + plural((trigdate()-today())/7, " week") FSET _sfun(x) choose(x, -60, 30, 5, 0) FSET oldfloat(y,m,d) trigger(MAX(realtoday(), date(y,m,d))) FSET due(y,m,d) "(" + (date(y,m,d)-trigdate()) + ")" SET fullmoon moondate(2) REM [trigger(realtoday())] SPECIAL SHADE 145 70 100 % REM [float(2019,4,15,105)] MSG File tax return [due(2017,4,15)]% REM PRIORITY 9999 MSG %"%"% INCLUDE /home/jalcorn/.rem/bdays SET $LongDeg 81 SET $LongMin 11 SET $LongSec 11 SET $LatDeg 41 SET $LatMin 11 SET $LatSec 11 REM [trigger(moondate(2))] +1 MSG %"Full Moon%" %b% fset _srtd() coerce("STRING", _no_lz(_am_pm(sunrise(today())))) fset _sstd() coerce("STRING", _no_lz(_am_pm(sunset(today())))) MSG Sun is up today from [_srtd()] to [_sstd()].%"%"%
Version 0.6 2019-03-01
- Publish on GitHub and change license to MIT License
- Add supporting files and explanation of how I use it
version 0.5.2 2007-03-23
- BUG: leadtime for recurring events had a max of 4 instead of DEFAULT_LEAD_TIME - remove project-lead-time, since Category was a non-standard attribute - NOTE: There is a bug in iCal::Parser v1.14 that causes multiple calendars to fail if a calendar with recurring events is followed by a calendar with no recurring events. This has been reported to the iCal::Parser author.
version 0.5.1 2007-03-21
- BUG: Handle multiple calendars on STDIN - add --heading option for priority on section headers
version 0.5 2007-03-21
- Add more help options - --project-lead-time option - Supress printing of heading if there are no todos to print
- Version 0.4 changes all written or inspired by, and thanks to Mark Stosberg - Change to GetOptions - Change to pipe - Add --label, --help options - Add Help Text - Change to subroutines - Efficiency and Cleanup
- Convert to GPL (Thanks to Mark Stosberg) - Add usage
- add command line switches - add debug code - add SCHED _sfun keyword - fix typos