Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
- Radical Candor
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team
- Strategic Selling: Identify Economic Buyer. Identify Win-Results. Identify Coach for sale. Can't sell to Even Keel or Overconfident. Only Growth or Problem. Don't bother talking about results that do not support people's wins. The most valuable thing you can give an economic buyer is knowledge to help him predict the future. For economic buyers, you sell the concept. Other buyers, you sell the product.
- The Fifth Discipline: An introduction to systems thinking (i.e. how to manage middle-number systems effectively).
- The One Minute Manager
- The Responsibility Virus: On the costs of avoiding uncomfortable conversations, and how to hold such conversations well.
- A Pattern Language
- The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
- Envisioning Information
- Grid Systems in Graphic Design
- The Design of Everyday Things
- The Non-Designer's Design Book
- The Timeless Way of Building
- Visual Explanations
- Bringing Up Bebe
- How to Raise a Wild Child
- The Read-Aloud Handbook: Read my review.
- The Well-Trained Mind
- Dumbing Us Down: Homeschooled kids in New York state are 5 to 10 years ahead of kids who go to public school.
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen: Ostensibly, a guide for parents on how to talk with their children. Really, it's about how to talk with human beings.
- Simplicity Parenting: Children need lots of unstructured time. When it comes to toys, books, and structured activites, less is more. Children benefit from ritual.
- The Continuum Concept: An account of how the Yequana South American Indians raise their children. The Yequana hold their children continuously for the first year. They don't protect their children, and they don't coerce or make decisions for their children. The impact of these behaviors on the children is remarkable.
- The New Basics
- A Guide to the Good Life: Read my review.
- Godel, Escher, Bach
- Human Nature After Darwin: How to think critically.
- How to Read a Book: How to read non-fiction efficiently.
- Getting Things Done: The brain is a poor tool for holding to do lists.
Programming - Miscellaneous
- 99 Bottles of OOP
- Confident Ruby
- Eloquent Ruby
- Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby
- Continuous Delivery
- Domain-Driven Design
- Growing Object-Oriented Software
- Head First Design Patterns
- Refactoring to Patterns
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
- Streamlined Object Modeling
- Test Driven Development
- Working Effectively with Legacy Code
- xUnit Test Patterns
Psychology - Developmental
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Functional differentiation is the ability to function depending on certain conditions in the environments. Basic differentiation is the ability to function independent of the environmental context. Lack of attunement in the first 3 years of life makes people vulnerable to addiction. Attunement happens when a child feels understood, accepted, mirrored. Bare attention. Counter will: we naturally resist external and internal imposition. Shame destroys motivation.
- Far From the Tree
- The Developing Mind: The brain is principally a tool for social navigation. Consequently, the most influential stimulus in the development of a child is the quality of the emotional interaction the child has with adults.
- The Happiness Hypothesis: Cross-level coherence. Shame. Adversity is essential during teen years, detrimental any other time. Sense making.
- The Road Less Traveled: On infatuation, love, and the development of ego boundaries.
- When the Body Says No
Psychology - Mindfulness
- Mindfulness in Plain English: An introduction to the practice of meditation.
- Search Inside Yourself
- The Art of Happiness
- The Gifts of Imperfection
- The Inner Game of Tennis: Conscious control will impede performance.
- Zen in the Art of Archery: On the value of experience, and the limits of what is knowable through intellect alone.
Psychology - Miscellaneous
- Games Criminals Play
- Give and Take
- Influence: Defense from reciprocation: distinguish between favor and compliance trick. Defense from consistency: follow my gut; tell person the trick they are employing; ask ourselves if we would do the same thing if we could go back in time.
- The 48 Laws of Power: What history teaches us about power in human relationships.
- The Robot's Rebellion: Cognitive dissonance arises from the conflict between the organism and the replicators (genes and memes). Reason is the organism's defense against replicators.
- Algorithms to Live By
- Better: Once birth became a professional service, natural child birth was replaced with cesarians, since they scale better.
- Cosmos: War correlates with 2 things: the suppression of sexual behavior among adolescents and the absence of physical affection for the young.
- Homo Deus
- Science Matters
- The Pattern on the Stone: Systems that result from design can be understood by studying the parts. Systems that result from evolution cannot be understood by that method.
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.