A simple PoC for the Blacknurse attack.
"Blacknurse is a low bandwidth ICMP attack that is capable of doing denial of service to well known firewalls".
Blacknurse apparently makes the CPU hot on:
- Cisco ASA 5505, 5506, 5515, 5525 , 5540 (default settings)
- Cisco 6500 routers with SUP2T and Netflow v9 on the inbound interface - 100% CPU load
- Cisco ASA 5550 (Legacy) and 5515-X (latest generation)
- Cisco Router 897 - Can be mitigated
- SonicWall - Misconfiguration can be changed and mitigated (Enable Anti-DDOS)
- Palo Alto 5050 Firewalls with firmware 7.1.4-h2
- Zyxel NWA3560-N (Wireless attack from LAN Side)
- Zyxel Zywall USG50
- Fortinet v5.4.1 - One CPU consumed
- Fortigate units 60c and 100D (even with drop ICMP on)
- Maybe more
See blacknurse.dk for the full list and updates.
This attack is 20+ years old, but it didn't had a logo.