Windows Agent Installer module for Jenkins
This module is a part of the Jenkins core, which provides features for managing agents as Windows services.
- Installation agents as Windows services, powered by the Windows Service Wrapper (WinSW).
- GUI option for the JNLP agents, which adds the
Install as a servicemenu option.
- Automatic upgrade of Windows service wrapper versions to keep them aligned with the version from this module.
See the changelog here.
Once you start a JNLP agents on Windows in the GUI mode (e.g. via Java WebStart),
It will display the
Install as a service menu option once the Jenkins master finishes the agent configuration.
- The agent will be installed if your Windows account has enough permissions to install Windows Services and to access the System and Application event logs.
You can setup the agent service manually by following the WinSW Installation Guide.
See also the old installation guide on Jenkins Wiki (link).
Upgrading old agents
This section provides information about upgrading Jenkins agents installed as Windows services. In order to apply the new features, you may need to...
- Upgrade the WinSW executable (manually or automatically)
- Upgrade the WinSW configuration (manually)
Upgrading Windows Service Wrapper
Windows Agent Installer module may be able to automatically upgrade the agent in particular cases.
- Upgrade Jenkins to the version, which provides this module
- Jenkins is expected to automatically upgrade
- The agent is connected to the Jenkins master
- If the agent is not connected, the update will be postponed till the agent connects to the master
- WinSW executable is located in
REMOTE_ROOT_DIR/jenkins-slave.exeand writable by the agent
- WinSW executable is writable as well as
- If the upgrade happens, you should be able to see the message in the
Agent login Jenkins Web UI
- Once upgrade is done, the changes will be applied on the next Windows service restart
Disabling Automatic upgrade
In some cases Jenkins administrators may want to update WinSW to a version higher
than the version provided by this module.
By default it is not possible if the executable is named as
because the module performs automatic update.
Starting from version
2.9 (Jenkins 2.60), it is possible to disable such automatic upgrades by setting
org.jenkinsci.modules.windows_slave_installer.disableAutoUpdate System Property
Manual upgrade may be required if the agent does not comply with the requirements mentioned above.
Please note that Jenkins master may override the WinSW executable
if it is located in
It possible to disable the automatic upgrade only by using another path or by making the executable non-writable by the Windows agent.
- Depending on the .NET Framework version in your system,
you can use
- If you need to run the
WinSW.NET2.exeexecutable on .NET 4 or above, see this guide.
- Replace the WinSW executable on your agent machines by the new version.
Upgrading agent configuration
Windows Agent Installer module never updates WinSW configuration files, but these files enable particular features on new agent installations.
1.7 introduces Runaway Process Killer and Automatic JNLP agent upgrade.
It is advised to keep configurations up to date on all agents.
In order to update the configurations you, need to edit the XML configuration files (e.g.