Zen And The aRt Of Workflow Maintenance
Links and credits for a Jenny Bryan talk delivered at:
- 10th Conference of the IASC-ARS/68th Annual NZSA Conference, hosted by the Department of Statistics, The University of Auckland in 10-14 Dec 2017 http://www.nzsa2017.com.
- Latin-R (http://latin-r.com), held in Buenos Aires 04-05 Sept 2018. Part of 47 JAIIO (http://47jaiio.sadio.org.ar).
See the slides:
- On Speakerdeck: https://speakerdeck.com/jennybc/zen-and-the-art-of-workflow-maintenance
- As a PDF here: 2018-09_bryan-zen-art-workflow.pdf
bit.ly/jenny-nz short link to here
rstd.io/jenny-latinr short link to here
Where to find me:
UBC Master of Data Science
"50 Years of Data Science" by Donoho
- David Donoho (2017) 50 Years of Data Science, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 26:4, 745-766, DOI: 10.1080/10618600.2017.1384734.
- Full text: https://doi.org/10.1080/10618600.2017.1384734
"Data Science: A Three Ring Circus or a Big Tent?", comment by J Bryan, H Wickham on Donoho's "50 Years of Data Science"
- Jennifer Bryan & Hadley Wickham (2017) Data Science: A Three Ring Circus or a Big Tent?, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 26:4, 784-785, DOI: 10.1080/10618600.2017.1389743.
- Full text: https://doi.org/10.1080/10618600.2017.1389743
David Robinson's tweet:
"We don't have to teach data science, it's just a fancy word for statistics"
"Why would we teach programming? This is a statistics course"
useR! 2004 re: Mächler
- Slides for keynotes: http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/useR-2004/Keynotes/
Karl Broman's hipsteR site:
Tweets about #rstats tricks we wish we'd known sooner
Blog post about "Project-oriented workflow":
- Written in response to the response to the first version of this talk!
Trevor Branch tweet about expecting to redo your analysis:
Ruben's depictions of wife Isabella Brant (thanks to Matt Lincoln!)
gapminder data cleaning is an example of analysis broken into pieces
Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about version control? by Bryan
Practical Data Science for Stats, PeerJ Preprint Collection
Good enough practices in scientific computing by Wilson, Bryan, Cranston, Kitzes, Nederbragt, Teal