This document captures the Joulescope™ User Interface (UI) future features. The UI is under active development, and many features remain outstanding.
- User references anyone who uses Joulescope. The primary target audience includes PCB designers, FPGA developers, electrical engineers, hardware engineers, firmware engineers, microcontroller engineers, software engineers, software application developers, hobbyists and makers. Joulescope can also be used as a general-purpose instrument by students and scientists.
The development of any product requires choices. The Joulescope developers have used the following three stories to guide development.
As a User, I want to quickly and easily see the immediate energy consumption of my target device so that I can measure its present operating state.
The Joulescope multimeter view fulfills the needs of this story. The multimeter view displays current, voltage, power and energy updated each 1/2 second time window. The multimeter view also displays statistics including standard deviation, minimum, maximum and peak-to-peak over the same window.
As a User, I want to see changes to current, voltage and power over time so that I can understand how changes to my target device's state affect power consumption.
The oscilloscope view intends to fulfill the needs of this story. Different Users have slightly different needs. The Joulescope UI must successfully balance ease of use and sufficient analytical features.
As a User, I want to understand how changes that I make during development affect the target device's energy consumption so that I can develop quality, energy-efficient products.
As of Jan 2019, this story is still largely unfulfilled by the software. Users must manually record and compare their findings.
This section captures potential future features. Many features shown below will be implemented before Joulescope general availability.
- Add x-axis label (or at least some tool-tip / hover text)
- Make the y-axis autoranging less confusing. You lose context on the discrete jumps. Perhaps animate the transition?
- Add y-axis log display in addition to linear.
- Allow single marker to be turned on/off.
- Add support for dual markers. Display the t, Δt, mean, min, max, p2p and energy over the window.
- Add ability to save either the entire buffer or the selected time range. The supported output formats should include jls, csv, npy, bin.
- Add "comparison" mode to overlay multiple data captures so that the user can compare changes over the development cycle (story 3).
- Animate "pan" action (likely need to pause live view to be meaningful).
- Add a "triggered" mode that only captures on events, such as thresholds, like a normal oscilloscope. Note that triggering on an external signal is not included in this feature.
- Show a visible "saturation" line (likely in a different color) where the signal is above or below the current y-axis view range.
- Add a small navigation window that shows the full extents of the buffer and a box with the view being displayed.
- The zoom & pan controls are improved, but still not intuitive. Explore alternatives, including a survey of other products, to see what works.
- Add real-time FFT display with max, min and average. Include controls for windowing, FFT length and window overlap %.
- Add spectrogram.
- Add off-line FFT display that analyzes the selected time window. Use markers to select time window.
- Add UART capture and display.
- Ensure that UART data is saved to and loaded from jls files.
- Use DTR as an external trigger.
- Add logic analyzer integration. Best path may be to integrate Joulescope with sigrok, so not really a feature for the UI. This approach may also enable external triggers.
- Add integration with hardware trace. Ideally, display a heat-map of energy usage and allow navigation by code module, function and line.
- Add soft-fuse configuration once implemented in Joulescope FPGA.
- Automate build: travis-ci.
- Measure and automate Joulescope code coverage.
- Automatically perform software update when required. The existing implementation just directs the User to the Joulescope download page.
- Automatically perform Joulescope firmware updates when required.