Frankland Lab Website Maintenance
- To build locally, please follow all the steps below.
- To only work from Github/Netlify, start at Step 3.
- macOS, GNU/Linux, Unix (doesn't work as well on Windows, but might work depending on your set-up)
- Jekyll Static Pages Generator
- please follow the instructions carefully to download prerequisites (Ruby, RubyGems, GCC/Make)
- once you have these working:
gem install jekyll
- A Github Account (it's free!)
- Access to the Github repo and Netlify.com
- see previous administrator to add you
- Python 3.4+
Adding Publications Manually
- See the examples in
_data/papers.ymland fill in papers with the appropriate information.
- all fields except link (for pdfs) or alt_link (for online version link) are required
- order from most recent to oldest
- to link a PDF, place the pdf in the _site/pdfs/ folder and link to it
link:field using the format
Adding Publications Automatically via Pubmed Search
- Make sure you have Python 3, then run the following in command line:
> pip install biopython
- Edit the
user_emailvariables in the
main()function of update_papers.py to match your NCBI author search.
- When running the first time, please check to make sure that
_data/recent_pubmed_ids.txtis empty (just delete whatever is currently there, as this data belongs to a previous websites template and won't apply to your website).
- Run the following in command line:
> cd website/folder/ > python update_papers.py > git add _data/* > git commit -m 'updated publications' > git push origin master
_data/ folder, there are four files, pi.yml, techs.yml, grad_students.yml, and alumni.yml
Edit each as appropriate.
img_id must match the name of the member photo in the img/ folder (plus file extension, e.g.
Making a new page
Copy the template.md under pages/ to make your new page.
If you use
permalink: /title/ tag, the link will be site.com/title/
Making a new post
Copy the template.md under
_posts/ to make your new post.
Fill in the correct info and you're done, files must be named according to
This site was modified from https://github.com/y7kim/agency-jekyll-theme