Brutaldon is a brutalist, Web 1.0 web interface for Mastodon. It is not a Mastodon-compatible social networking server; rather, it is just a client, like the Android or iOS client for Mastodon you may already be using, but it runs in a web server, and is accessed through a web browser. The web browser that brutaldon targets is Lynx. Of course, you can use it in a more heavy-weight graphical browser, as well as other text browsers such as w3m or elinks.
There is a hosted instance at brutaldon.online which you can use to log in to any instance. However, you are also encouraged to run your own, either locally or on a public server.
Brutaldon is ready for day to day use, but is still missing many features. Please see the issues tracker.
People love screenshots, whatever the project, so here we are.
- Single user read-only access; log in and read home timeline
- Fix edge cases of toot display (CW, media, boosts)
- Multi-user, multi-instance support
- Add support for reading local and federated timelines, notifications, favorites, threads
- Add support for tag timelines
- Add support for viewing profiles
- Add support for posting.
- Add support for posting media.
- Add support for favoriting and boosting toots.
- Add support for following, blocking, and muting users.
No automatic page updates: refresh the page to see new toots. No endless scroll: there's a "next page" link. No autocompletion of anything: use another lynx process in another screen window to look things up. UTF8 clean.