(C)opyright 2013-2022, by David Gilbert. All rights reserved.
Version 2.1.0, 23 January 2022.
Orson Charts is a 3D chart library for the Java™ platform that can generate a wide variety of 3D charts for use in client-side applications (JavaFX and Swing) and server-side applications (with export to PDF, SVG, PNG and JPEG).
Key features include:
- multiple chart types: pie charts, bar charts (regular and stacked), line charts, area charts, scatter charts and surface plots;
- mouse-enabled chart viewers in JavaFX and Swing provide 360 degree rotation and zooming for precise end-user view control;
- configurable tool tip support;
- interactive charts (mouse event support on all chart elements);
- flexible data sources;
- JSON format data import and export;
- regular and logarithmic axis scales;
- auto-adaptive axis labeling;
- value and range marker annotations
- support for PDF, SVG, PNG and JPG export of charts for reporting;
- a clean and well-documented API with a high degree of chart configurability.
Orson Charts is very easy to use, and includes comprehensive Javadocs. It is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3 or later. Orson Charts requires JDK/JRE 11 or later. To use Orson Charts with JavaFX requires the Orson Charts FX extension project.
Demo applications can be found in the following projects at GitHub:
You can build Orson Charts using Maven by issuing the following command from the root directory of the project:
mvn clean install
The build requires JDK 11 or later.
If you find a bug in Orson Charts, please file a bug report at:
Version 2.1.0 : 23-Jan-2022
- bug fix - axis ranges not being updated correctly. See issue #9
- clean-up - fix numerous warnings/hints highlighted by IntelliJ IDEA.
- dependencies - upgraded JUnit to version 5;
- build - set plugin versions in
Version 2.0 : 15-Mar-2020
- created a Java module (
- refactored into
- fixed bug #4 in
NumberAxis3Dwhere tick label override is not applied.
Version 1.7 : 17-Nov-2017
- removed JavaFX support to a separate project Orson Charts FX;
- fixed cell content bug in
- fixed bug in
- protect from
- streamline build by removing Ant build support and moving demo code to external projects.
Version 1.6 : 2-Nov-2016
XYZSeriesand added change notification mechanism;
XYZSeriesCollectionand added change notification;
- added generics to source files;
FXGraphics2Dto version 1.5;
JFreeSVGto version 3.2.
Version 1.5 : 28-Jan-2016
- added new
- added option to invert axes;
- fix exception when setting a new dataset using
- fix direction of mouse wheel zooming in JavaFX;
- included FXGraphics2D version 1.3 as a dependency;
- updated OrsonPDF to version 1.7;
- updated JFreeSVG to version 3.0;
pom.xmlfor Maven builds;
- JavaFX demos brought up to match the Swing demos;
- various Javadoc improvements.
Version 1.4 : 27-May-2014
- added JavaFX support;
- added support to marker elements and item labels for
AbstractValueAxis3D(this fixes a bug for plots where the length of the data range is zero, for example scatter plots with a single value);
- fixed endless loop in axis range code for datasets with infinite values;
- fixed bug in hinting for tick labels on
Utils.jsfunctions that didn't work with Internet Explorer 9.
Version 1.3 : 11-Apr-2014
- added chart mouse event and tooltip support for the chart viewer in Swing;
- added item label support;
JSONformat data import and export;
- new utility methods to extract an
- fixed a clipping issue for panels with borders assigned;
- added rendering hints for SVG output via JFreeSVG (to support tool-tips and mouse events on chart elements);
Version 1.2 : 7-Mar-2014
- added value and range markers for numerical axes, and category markers for category axes;
- added a
tickLabelOrientationattribute for axes so that tick labels can be drawn either perpendicular or parallel to the axis line;
- added a logarithmic axis;
- added theme support, with several built-in themes;
- added template driven label generators for pie section labels and category axis labels;
- added export to
JPEG, plus options to configure the available export types;
- optimized the rendering code to reduce memory usage;
- put in place a localisation mechanism, and added German and Italian translations;
- made the projection distance configurable in the chart viewer;
- added series accessors for
- fixed an issue with the
StackedBarRendererand negative values;
- incorporated various other bug fixes.
Version 1.1 : 23-Dec-2013
- added surface plots (via the new
ColorScaleand supporting classes for use by the surface charts;
- added orientation attribute to control the chart legend orientation;
- optimized rendering code for improved performance;
- added missing change events for gridline attributes in
- added constants including
Version 1.0 : 17-Nov-2013
This is the first public release of Orson Charts, we welcome your feedback and suggestions.