(C)opyright 2013-2016, by Object Refinery Limited. All rights reserved.
Version 1.6, 2 November 2016.
Orson Charts is a 3D chart library for the Java(tm) platform that can generate a wide variety of 3D charts for use in client-side applications (JavaFX and Swing) and server-side applications (with export to PDF, SVG, PNG and JPEG).
Key features include:
- multiple chart types: pie charts, bar charts (regular and stacked), line charts, area charts, scatter charts and surface plots;
- mouse-enabled chart viewers in JavaFX and Swing provide 360 degree rotation and zooming for precise end-user view control;
- configurable tool tip support;
- interactive charts (mouse event support on all chart elements);
- flexible data sources;
- JSON format data import and export;
- regular and logarithmic axis scales;
- auto-adaptive axis labeling;
- value and range marker annotations
- support for PDF, SVG, PNG and JPG export of charts for reporting;
- a clean and well-documented API with a high degree of chart configurability.
Orson Charts is very easy to use, and includes comprehensive Javadocs. It is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3 or later. For companies that do not wish to be bound by the terms of the GPLv3, a commercial license can be purchased from Object Refinery Limited. The license permits royalty-free redistribution of the Orson Charts runtime jar file. Orson Charts requires JDK/JRE 1.6 or later. To use Orson Charts with JavaFX requires JDK/JRE 1.8 or later.
The Javadoc generated documentation is the principal source of documentation for Orson Charts:
If there are topics that are not covered or not clear in the documentation, please let us know so that we can improve the coverage.
Orson Charts can be built with Maven or Ant. The default builds include JavaFX support and require JDK 1.8.0_40 or later to compile. We also provide an Ant script that will build Orson Charts without JavaFX support, and this requires only JDK 1.6 or later.
Two Ant build scripts are provided to build Orson Charts from source code:
- ant/build.xml : builds Orson Charts with JavaFX support (requires JDK 1.8.0_40 or later);
- ant/build-nofx.xml : builds Orson Charts without JavaFX support (requires JDK 1.6 or later);
There are three main dependencies for Orson Charts:
- FXGraphics2D : used to provide JavaFX support;
- JFreeSVG : provides the ability to export charts to SVG format;
- OrsonPDF : provides the ability to export charts to PDF format;
If you find a bug in Orson Charts, please file a bug report at:
You can find out more about Orson Charts at:
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Version 1.6 : 2-Nov-2016
XYZSeriesand added change notification mechanism;
XYZSeriesCollectionand added change notification;
- added generics to source files;
FXGraphics2Dto version 1.5;
JFreeSVGto version 3.2.
Version 1.5 : 28-Jan-2016
- added new
- added option to invert axes;
- fix exception when setting a new dataset using
- fix direction of mouse wheel zooming in JavaFX;
- included FXGraphics2D version 1.3 as a dependency;
- updated OrsonPDF to version 1.7;
- updated JFreeSVG to version 3.0;
pom.xmlfor Maven builds;
- JavaFX demos brought up to match the Swing demos;
- various Javadoc improvements.
Version 1.4 : 27-May-2014
- added JavaFX support;
- added support to marker elements and item labels for
AbstractValueAxis3D(this fixes a bug for plots where the length of the data range is zero, for example scatter plots with a single value);
- fixed endless loop in axis range code for datasets with infinite values;
- fixed bug in hinting for tick labels on
Utils.jsfunctions that didn't work with Internet Explorer 9.
Version 1.3 : 11-Apr-2014
- added chart mouse event and tooltip support for the chart viewer in Swing;
- added item label support;
JSONformat data import and export;
- new utility methods to extract an
- fixed a clipping issue for panels with borders assigned;
- added rendering hints for SVG output via JFreeSVG (to support tool-tips and mouse events on chart elements);
Version 1.2 : 7-Mar-2014
- added value and range markers for numerical axes, and category markers for category axes;
- added a
tickLabelOrientationattribute for axes so that tick labels can be drawn either perpendicular or parallel to the axis line;
- added a logarithmic axis;
- added theme support, with several built-in themes;
- added template driven label generators for pie section labels and category axis labels;
- added export to
JPEG, plus options to configure the available export types;
- optimized the rendering code to reduce memory usage;
- put in place a localisation mechanism, and added German and Italian translations;
- made the projection distance configurable in the chart viewer;
- added series accessors for
- fixed an issue with the
StackedBarRendererand negative values;
- incorporated various other bug fixes.
Version 1.1 : 23-Dec-2013
- added surface plots (via the new
ColorScaleand supporting classes for use by the surface charts;
- added orientation attribute to control the chart legend orientation;
- optimized rendering code for improved performance;
- added missing change events for gridline attributes in
- added constants including
Version 1.0 : 17-Nov-2013
This is the first public release of Orson Charts, we welcome your feedback and suggestions.