Karabiner-Elements-Neo implements the layers 4 and 6 of the Neo2 keyboard layout for macOS Sierra. It is based on takahasix' fork of Karabiner-Elements, a subset of the next generation Karabiner for macOS Sierra.
Beta, please report any bugs or incomplete installation instructions as GitHub issues. You may report issues in English or German.
- Caps lock (pressing both shift keys at the same time) might not work. This is
an upstream Karabiner-Elements issue (tekezo/Karabiner-Elements#467). Killing
karabiner_grabberprocess is know to fix the problem in some instances.
- Some applications and webpages might register some wrong key combinations for certain shortcuts. There is probably not a lot that can be done about these because it most cases it is the applications that are not considering the keyboard layout correctly and in many cases the problem is not even specific to Karabiner-Elements.
I do not have an Apple Developer license at the moment that would me allow to distribute a ready-made installable package. Thus, it is necessary to build Karabiner-Elements-Neo yourself.
Once you have built the installable package:
- Open the DMG file and follow the instructions.
- Open Karabiner-Elements and add the following “Simple Modifications”:
right_option(on some external keyboards it might be necessary to remap
- Download the keyboard layout file and move it either to
~/Library/Keyboard Layouts(personal installation) or
/Library/Keyboard Layouts(system-wide installation). You have the choice between to keyboard layout files:
- Select the Neo2 keyboard layout (“Deutsch (Neo 2)”) in your system settings (under “Keyboard → Input Sources”).