Snap! and Arduino 5ynchronized
Working with Snap! and Arduino
- Snap4Arduino allows us to work with Snap! and Arduino together. There are downloads for Linux, Mac and Windows and also an online version.
- Snap! is a very customizable tool. You can create your own custom blocks and also you can hide primitive ones. Then, the starting point of the work with Snap4Arduino is not unique and it can be adapted to different levels of education, different projects, boards...
- Snap4Arduino uses StandardFirmata firmware to connect our PC with the Arduino board. This implement several basic functions:
- Read digital and analog pins.
- Set ditital states (low or high)
- Set values (0-255) to PWM pins
- Manage servos (set angle or state)
Extends firmata with:
- Tone functions.
- PulseIn function.
- A pulseOut function (send a microseconds pulse)
- Ping function to read distance from Ultrasonic sensors.
- Read Nunchuk sensors (joyX, joyY, butZ, butC, accX, accY and accZ) from I2C connection.
- Read humidity and temperature from a DHT11 sensor.
- Send IR messages by a IR emitter on pin 3. Sony and RC5 protocols availables.
- Read IR message from a IR recevier on pin 11.
- You can Enable/Disable IR receiving, to leave free timer 2 and enable PWM on pins 3 and 11.
- Servo library hacked, to avoid "the detach" disconnecting servos. Then PWM on pins 9 and 10 are again available.
Another "Firmata" boards
Snap4Arduino can connect with any device that can run firmata software (not only Arduinos). For example, ESP8266 (and then, nodeMCU) are easily connectable.
We need a serial connection with the devices that we connect. Usually is a USB connection, but we can also use a serial connection by Bluetooth.
Also, we can use a network connection if these connection offers a serial signal (we can build this with a ESP8266 as a wifi module).