Just having some fun with gameboy programming! This is a purely a personal project for learning purposes.
Check the releases tab for prebuilt roms, I'll try to update that as I hit major milestones.
The preprocessor requires python2 (3 will work too I believe) and PIL. It also uses a virtualenv to run in. To set this up, install virtualenv (pip install virtualenv) then run
virtualenv venv from the project root. To install PIL type
source venv/bin/activate then
pip install Pillow. Now you can run the preprocessor manually
python utils/preprocessor.py, or through the makefile.
To build and run in bgb: run
make. To just build:
make build. Outputs rom as
How do I learn?
Resources I used!
- the pan docs (literally the most invaluable tool for gb/gbc dev): http://bgb.bircd.org/pandocs.htm
- official gameboy manual (goes without saying): http://www.chrisantonellis.com/files/gameboy/gb-programming-manual.pdf
- opcodes: http://www.devrs.com/gb/files/GBCPU_Instr.html
- this gameboy course, has a lot of example code, not everything works as-is though: http://cratel.wichita.edu/cratel/ECE238Spr08
- honestly basically everything on this list: https://github.com/avivace/awesome-gbdev
Also for my editor I use spacemacs (nasm-mode)