10k personal search engine (10kse)
Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw | hexlib)
This is an application that I've wanted to write for a long time, but didn't for a variety of reasons - the most salient of which being the difficulty of implementing such an app in a cross-browser fashion.
The 10k apart contest seemed like an excellent opportunity to sit down and actually put it together.
The source tree looks something like this:
- src - source code separated out by type
- build - files used in building the compressed/crushed end result
- dist - output from the build
- test - unit testing n' such
IMPORTANT: Don't bother opening
src/index.html via a
file:// URI. Modern browsers are very picky about running code between zones, so the bookmarklet to add links will flat-out not work since it needs to
postMessage() to a hidden iframe. You'll have to run some kind of web server to serve up the content, even for development.
To clean out your build:
Building requires these dependencies:
- java - used to run rhino for jslint checks and other scripts plus google closure compiler and YUI compressor
- ImageMagick - specifically, the
convertcommand - used to turn the ppm file into a png
- pngcrush - makes the data png file really tiny
10kse is released under The MIT License.