About the Game
Maze Adventures is a Unity3D game, where you play as a lonely pill trying to escape a dangerous maze. Before the game starts, you are greeted by a menu screen that allows you to input the size of the maze you would like to play in. Your maze can be as small as a tiny 5 by 5 grid, or as large as a 30 by 30 labyrinth!
Each time you start a new game, Maze Adventures uses a recursive division maze generation algorthim to create a unique, random maze at runtime. So no memorizing the paths here! The number of unique levels is infinite, which means endless fun for the player.
This game isn't just about getting through the maze, though. The evil Glowies have locked your Pill friends in rooms, and hid the keys all over the maze. You have to find the keys and unlock all of the rooms before you can leave the maze!
The Glowies, the keys, and the rooms are distributed randomly across the maze using Poisson disk sampling. This ensures that they will be in new positions every time you start a new level, but the Glowies won't be able to gang up on you in one section of the maze.
Menu and Maze Generation
- Main menu screen allows the player to input the desired dimensions of the maze.
- During a level, the player can pause at any time, and return to the main menu.
- Random mazes generated at runtime.
- Recursive division maze generation algorithm coded in Unity from scratch.
- Poisson disk distribution used to scatter rooms, enemies, health, and keys across the maze with uniform randomness.
- Exactly same number of keys and rooms are generated.
- Objects are placed randomly but cannot spawn in the same locations.
- Player can rotate in the direction of the cursor and fire projectiles on click.
- Bomb enemies created.
- Can follow the player's transform and inflict damage upon contact.
- Can drop bombs that damage the player and destroy walls within their blast radius.
- Fire enemies created.
- Can shoot projectiles in the direction of the player's transform that inflict damage.
Assets, Animations, and UI
- All 3D models and animations created from scratch in Unity.
- Player and enemies flash while taking damage.
- Player's health bar decreases when the player is damaged and increases after the player finds health.
- All enemies have individual health bars.
- Fire enemies animated with spinning projectiles.
- Collectible items rotate.
- Player and enemies explode upon death.
WASD to move around. Your cursor indicates the direction you want to shoot. Left-click to shoot a
pellet. If you have a key, you can use it to unlock a room. Stand next to the door of the room and press
enter to unlock the door. Once all rooms have been opened, navigate to the exit in the top-right corner
of the maze.
GIF created with LiceCap.
This is you!
Collect these keys to unlock rooms!
These are rooms where your fellow Pills are trapped!
Bomb Glowies can follow you around. Don't let them touch you! They can also drop bombs when they get close to you!
Bombs are dropped by Bomb Glowies. Bombs can break walls, which makes it easier to get through the maze. But don't be too close to the bombs when they explode!
Fire Glowies are stationary, but they can shoot fire balls at you! They also take twice as much damage as Bomb Glowies.
Hearts replenish some of your health. You can find them by searching the maze, or by defeating Glowies.