Showoff - Webbased photo management
Showoff is a webbased photo album management system explicitly aimed at simple needs.
Showoff is separated into an admin app and a frontend app which can run indepentently in different environments.
Copyright and license
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
Showoff features and lack thereof
- Non-destructive: Showoff does not change original files. All modifications are done on copies in the cache
- Image rotation based on exif data
- Image albums are just directories with image files, showoff will find and generate the required metadata for you.
- You can use the admin to select which photo's should be published in the "show" which is the publicly visible album
- You can set albums to require authentication for viewing, and add user accounts with view rights per album
- Separate frontend and admin apps
- No database is used (everything is in flat-file and json files)
- Theme support (Jinja2 is used for templates)
Showoff requires the following software:
Showoff comes with a setup.py installation script which uses setuptools. The following command will install showoff and its dependencies:
$ python setup.py install
You can also use pip to install the dependencies, but then you need to register the showoff installation manually (add the path to the showoff parent dir to a file called showoff.pth inside your site-packages directory):
$ pip install -r requirements.txt
- Install the software listed under Requirements
- Adjust the configuration in config.py
- Make sure the CACHE_DIR is writable by both the admin and viewer apps
- Make sure the EDITS_DIR and SHOWS_DIR are readable by the viewer app and readable AND writable by the admin app
I recommend using a combination of uwsgi and nginx. See the examples dir for relevant wsgi files.
Check http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/deploying/ for more information concerning deployment.