These scripts were developed to make a series of data visualizations showing how much video content has been uploaded to a number of popular woodworking YouTube channels.
Watch this video to see this script in action: https://youtu.be/Mau0Ikj9CO4
To make this work on your computer:
Creating the spreadsheet
- Open the channelStatistics.py script in your text editor.
- Update the channelID to include the YouTuber that you'd like to look up and put in your own API_KEY (you'll need to go to the Google developers console to obtain one).
- Run the channelStatistics.py script in the terminal using Python 3.
Generating the graphic
- Open the js/visualization.js file in your text editor.
- Change the name of the .csv file referenced to match what you generated when creating the spreadsheet. Remember to save your document.
- Open the index.html file in your text editor and launch it (via a web server on brackets or on your external hosting space)