Adventure as a career plan: how curiosity and exploration create our best lives, friendships, and careers
“Where do you see yourself in five years?” Did the you from five years ago know the answer to that question?
What if we didn't need a Five Year Plan™? What if the secret to the best possible career is not having the best plan, but having the best sense of adventure?
In this talk, Jason Lengstorf will share his own wandering journey and the lessons he learned, including:
- What living in a van for two years taught him about running a digital agency
- How playing charades in Italy made him a better software engineer
- What ten days without internet access in Alaska meant for his productivity, relationships, and happiness
Along the way, we'll look at success through a new lens and discuss new, potentially counterintuitive ideas, such as:
- Why quitting a job to try something completely new does not mean starting over
- How seemingly unrelated skills add huge benefits to our current and future capabilities
- Why not having a plan may actually be the best plan of all
By the time you leave the room, you'll have a new perspective on success and career growth, a new set of tools and frameworks to use on your own adventure, and concrete action steps to get your started down your own wandering path.
- Mae Jemison
- Pharrell Williams
- Natalie Portman
- My story (show chart correlating decisions over time and happiness/success)
- Marisa (show two Venn diagrams: expected skill overlap; actual skill overlap)