I am Jan, a software developer and computer scientist with a focus on distributed databases and distributed systems. I am 36 years old, live in Berlin (Germany), and work for around 18 years in IT. I worked as a system administrator, network administrator, software developer, and CTO. At the moment, I am finishing my PhD (computer science / distributed databases) at the University of Hagen.
📚I am the author of the book Entwicklung eines skalierbaren und verteilten Datenbanksystems (my master thesis, awarded as outstanding work and available as a book published by Springer).
💬I also talked at international conferences (SSTD, IEEE BigData, CIKM, EDBT, ...) about databases and published some peer-reviewed scientific papers. Have a look at my Demo Paper, which won the IEEE best demo- and short paper award at the BSD2019. See also my recent EDBT Paper, available as open access publication.
🤔I’m looking for help on my MySQL highly-available cloud container orchestrator.
📫How to reach me: email@example.com
⚡Fun fact: My first installed Linux Distribution was a SuSE 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.6) in 1999, and my first computer was a Pentium 1 with 100 MHz and 16 MB RAM running Windows 95.
In the period from 2002 - 2005 I completed an apprenticeship as IT specialist for system integration. From 2006 - 2009 I took part in the DAA technical school, parallel to my job, in a training course for technical informatics. I successfully completed this course in 2009 as Staatlich geprüfter Informatiker (State-Certified Computer Scientist). Between 2009 and 2014 I was already enrolled at the FernUniversität in Hagen. There I studied computer science as an academy, bachelor and master student.
In 2012 I graduated as a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, in 2014 I graduated as a Master of Science in Computer Science with the focus on: Operating Systems, Distributed and Cooperative Systems. In the years 2012 - 2014 I was also a student assistant at the Chair of Cooperative Systems for the courses Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and Computational Geometry.
- Database systems
- Operating systems
- Distributed, scalable and fault-tolerant systems
- Computer networks
- Transactions and parallelism
- Economics, financial markets and algorithmic trading systems
- BBoxDB Streams: Scalable Processing of Multi-Dimensional Data Streams - Technical Report 2021
- Distributed Arrays: an algebra for generic distributed query processing - Distributed and Parallel Databases 2021 (co-author)
- BBoxDB Streams: Distributed Processing of Real-World Streams of Position Data - EDBT 2021 / Slides
- BBoxDB: a distributed and highly available key-bounding-box-value store - Distributed and Parallel Databases 2020
- Demo Paper: Large Scale Spatial Data Processing With User Defined Filters In BBoxDB - IEEE Big Spatial Data 2019 / Poster / Slides
- BBoxDB - A Scalable Data Store for Multi-Dimensional Big Data - CIKM 2018 / Poster
- BBoxDB - A Distributed and Highly Available Key-Bounding-Box-Value Store - Technical Report 2018
- Distributed SECONDO: An extensible and scalable database management system - Distributed and Parallel Databases 2017
- Distributed SECONDO: An extensible highly available and scalable database management system - Technical Report 2016
- Distributed SECONDO: A Highly Available and Scalable System for Spatial Data Processing SSTD 2015 / Poster
- Distributed SECONDO - A Distributed DBMS based on SECONDO and Apache Cassandata - My Master Thesis
- Optimierte Speicherzuteilung an Operatoren in Datenbanksystemen (Optimized Memory Allocation to Operators in Database Systems) - Informatiktage 2013 / Poster
- Operator Cost Models for Progress-Esimation and Optimization in Database Systems - My Bachelor Thesis