I am Jan, a software developer and computer scientist with a focus on distributed databases and distributed systems. I am 36 years old, live in Berlin (Germany), and work for around 18 years in IT. I worked as a system administrator, network administrator, software developer, and CTO. At the moment, I am finishing my PhD (computer science / distributed databases) at the University of Hagen.
🔭I’m currently working on BBoxDB a distributed key-bounding-box-value database. BBoxDB is a NoSQL database for multi-dimensional data implemented from scratch (see full paper. With BBoxDB Streams, the software can also process multi-dimensional data streams and execute continuous queries (e.g., continuous range queries and continuous spatial joins, see the technical report).
🌱I’m also maintaining the SECONDO database. This is an extensible database management system developed at the university at Hagen. The database can be extended by Algebra Modules that implement custom data models and operators. The software focuses on the handling of spatial and spatio-temporal data. I also developed Distributed SECONDO, a distributed version of SECONDO.
📚I am the author of the book Entwicklung eines skalierbaren und verteilten Datenbanksystems (my master thesis, awarded as outstanding work and available as a book published by Springer).
💬I also talked at international conferences (SSTD, IEEE BigData, CIKM, EDBT, ...) about databases and published some peer-reviewed scientific papers. Have a look at my Demo Paper, which won the IEEE best demo- and short paper award at the BSD2019. See also my recent EDBT Paper, available as open access publication.
🤔I’m looking for help on my MySQL highly-available cloud container orchestrator.
📫How to reach me: firstname.lastname@example.org
⚡Fun fact: My first installed Linux Distribution was a SuSE 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.6) in 1999, and my first computer was a Pentium 1 with 100 MHz and 16 MB RAM running Windows 95.
In the period from 2002 - 2005 I completed an apprenticeship as IT specialist for system integration. From 2006 - 2009 I took part in the DAA technical school, parallel to my job, in a training course for technical informatics. I successfully completed this course in 2009 as Staatlich geprüfter Informatiker (State-Certified Computer Scientist). Between 2009 and 2014 I was already enrolled at the FernUniversität in Hagen. There I studied computer science as an academy, bachelor and master student.
In 2012 I graduated as a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, in 2014 I graduated as a Master of Science in Computer Science with the focus on: Operating Systems, Distributed and Cooperative Systems. In the years 2012 - 2014 I was also a student assistant at the Chair of Cooperative Systems for the courses Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and Computational Geometry.
- Database systems
- Operating systems
- Distributed, scalable and fault-tolerant systems
- Computer networks
- Transactions and parallelism
- Economics, financial markets and algorithmic trading systems
- BBoxDB Streams: Scalable Processing of Multi-Dimensional Data Streams - Technical Report 2021
- Distributed Arrays: an algebra for generic distributed query processing - Distributed and Parallel Databases 2021 (co-author)
- BBoxDB Streams: Distributed Processing of Real-World Streams of Position Data - EDBT 2021 / Slides
- BBoxDB: a distributed and highly available key-bounding-box-value store - Distributed and Parallel Databases 2020
- Demo Paper: Large Scale Spatial Data Processing With User Defined Filters In BBoxDB - IEEE Big Spatial Data 2019 / Poster / Slides
- BBoxDB - A Scalable Data Store for Multi-Dimensional Big Data - CIKM 2018 / Poster
- BBoxDB - A Distributed and Highly Available Key-Bounding-Box-Value Store - Technical Report 2018
- Distributed SECONDO: An extensible and scalable database management system - Distributed and Parallel Databases 2017
- Distributed SECONDO: An extensible highly available and scalable database management system - Technical Report 2016
- Distributed SECONDO: A Highly Available and Scalable System for Spatial Data Processing SSTD 2015 / Poster
- Distributed SECONDO - A Distributed DBMS based on SECONDO and Apache Cassandata - My Master Thesis
- Optimierte Speicherzuteilung an Operatoren in Datenbanksystemen (Optimized Memory Allocation to Operators in Database Systems) - Informatiktage 2013 / Poster
- Operator Cost Models for Progress-Esimation and Optimization in Database Systems - My Bachelor Thesis