A dynamic static website running on Pelican (Python) with data visualizations via IFTTT/GoogleDocs.
Homepage: The homepage content changes regularly. The data is stored in Google Docs (via IFTTT, this tutorial, and a custom Pelican plugin). Data is processed on my server (or computer). I have a cron job to generate the site daily.
Charts: Coffee chart is made using a
<table>, CSS, and lots of Joe. Daily Steps chart is made with the Chartist.js library.
Design: The Fonts are Garamond and Open Sans, served from Google. I used Pure CSS as my css foundation.
All of my data comes through Google Spreadsheets. The plugin (
pelican_gdocs) handles all of the data (and cleans/organizes it).
- Set Up IFTTT. You can send your tweets to a google spreadsheet using this recipe. Check out other recipies. My coffee chart is done using the Do Button App, which adds a coffee button to my phone's homescreen.
- Gather your spreadsheets!
- Use plugin to clean and organize your data & jinja to format it.
Interesting in using this site to make something of your own? Great!
I'm trying to make this theme more fork-friendly. Please let me know what issues you run into!
Things you'll need (not in this order):
- A Python
- A Pelican
- A Computer
- More animals (Pythons and Pelicans need company)
- Install Python dependencies with pip (
pip install -r requirements.txt)
- Install css libraries with bower (
- Writing: Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No-Derivatives (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
- Theme & Gdocs Plugin: MIT