Responsibility assignment matrix
A responsibility assignment matrix (RAM) a.k.a. linear responsibility chart (LRC) describes the participation by various roles in completing tasks or deliverables for a project or business process.
Responsibility assigment matrix using RACIO mnemonic:
Each role and/or person who does the work to achieve the task.
Typically there is ongoing constant communication.
One role and/or person who is the ultimate authority in charge of the task, such as approving its completion, correctness, commitments, etc.
Typically there is ongoing communication, especially upon milestones, deliverables, changes, etc.
Any role and/or person whoe opinions are sought, such as subject matter experts, support services staff, legal counsel, etc.
Typically there is two-way communication, such as when specific help is needed, and before decisions are made.
Any role and/or person who is to be kept up-to-date on progress.
Typically there is one-way communication, such as when the task reaches a milestone.
Any role and/or person who is out of scope, or out of the loop, yet worthwhile to have in the matrix, such as someone who's provided a delegate, or is on leave, etc.
Typically there is no communiation, unless something changes to bring the role/person in scope and in the loop.
|Research & development||R||A|
|Approvals & appropriations||A||C|
|Compliance & regulations||R||A|
|Translate to other languages||O|
Responsibility assigment matrix ideas have many alternatives for initialisms:
- RACIO: Responsible, Accountable, Consultable, Informable, Omittable.
- RACI: Responsible, Accountable, Consultable, Informable.
- PARIS: Participant, Accountable, Review Required, Input Required, Sign-off Required.
- PACSI: Perform, Accountable, Control, Suggest, Informed.
- RASCI: Responsible, Accountable, Support, Consultable, Informable.
- RASI: Responsible, Accountable, Support, Informable.
- RACIQ: Responsible, Accountable, Consultable, Informable, Quality Review.
- RACI-VS: Responsible, Accountable, Consultable, Informable, Verifier, Signatory.
- CAIRO: Consultable, Accountable, Informable, Responsible, Omittable.
- DACI: Driver, Approver, Contributors, Informed.
- RAPID: Recommend, Agree, Perform, Input, Decide.
- RATSI: Responsibility, Authority, Task, Support, Informed.
- DRASC: Driver, Responsibility, Authority, Task, Support, Informed.