Heroku Rails Template
A Rails template for generating a skeleton Rails application that will deploy to Heroku with no changes and sets up the application following Heroku guidelines and best practices.
What this template does
Generates a new Rails application and then:
- Adds rack-timeout to Gemfile (defaults to 10 secs, override via environment variable) Read More
- Switches sqlite to postgres Read More
- Sets up Unicorn according to Heroku guidelines (defaults to 3 processes with 30 second timeout, override via environment variable) Read More
- Adds Procfile Read More
- Adds .env file for local environment variables Read More
- (Added 13 Aug 2013) Excludes .env from git via .gitignore
- (Added 13 Aug 2013) Adds .env_sample to communicate required ENV vars to other developers
- Removes standard database.yml replacing it with Postgres version
- Adds newrelic.yml (You will still need to add the addon to your application) Read More
- Add rails_12_factor to Gemfile [Read More
- (Added 29 Aug 2013) Adds required rails_12_factor to Gemfile Read More following this changelog entry to prevent deprecation notices in logs.
- (Added 05 Feb 2014) Adds sprockets_better_errors gem and enables it for development mode Read More - Only for Rails 4.0.x.x
- Prevent application initializing assets on boot Read More
rails new myapp -m https://raw.github.com/johnbeynon/heroku-rails-template/master/generator.rb
- You have Ruby (2.0.0) installed via either RVM or RBENV
- Rails is already installed (confirm via $ rails -v )
- Postgres is installed locally
If you get an error during deployment to Heroku along the lines of
rake aborted! could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
Then you need to enable the User environment labs feature
heroku labs:enable user-env-compile -a myapp
I've found this can occur when you have certain Rails validations in your models which require a DB hit during the application initialization which occurs when assets are precompiled.
Read more about this feature here
Sister project heroku-new that adds to the Heroku CLI
heroku new:rails [APP_PATH]
rather than having to remember to type the template URL directly.