A beautiful demo is worth a thousand words:
pdf2htmlEX renders PDF files in HTML, utilizing modern Web technologies, aims to provide an accuracy rendering, while keeping optimized for Web display.
It is optimized for modern web browsers. On Linux/Mac, the generated HTML pages could be as beautiful as PDF files.
This program is designed for scientific papers with complicate formulas and figures, therefore precise rendering is the #1 concern. But of course general PDF files are also supported.
Why HTML ?
- Embedding documents to web pages with consistent theme and behavior
- Cross references to other documents are much easier and intuitive
Readers can also be benefitted
- Read while downloading
- Optional single HTML file output
- Precise rendering
- Text perserved - you can select & copy & paste
- Proper styling
- Font - extracted and reencoded
- [EXPERIMENTAL] Path drawing with CSS
- Orthogonal lines
- Linear gradients
- Not fully supported, and rendered as images
- Type 3 fonts
- Non-text object
PPA, which is not so up-to-date.
Install through Overlay gentoo-zh, mrueg or sunrise, thanks to the packagers.
The code may be built with Cygwin.
Or with MinGW with some modifications.
More info can be found on the pdf2htmlEX page in TeX Wiki (in Japanese), special thanks to Haruhiko Okumura
Build from source
- CMake, pkg-config
- GNU Getopt
- compilers support C++11, for example
- GCC >= 4.4.6
- I heard about successful build with Clang
- poppler with xpdf header >= 0.20.0 (compile with --enable-xpdf-headers)
- Install libpng (and headers) BEFORE you compile poppler if you want background images generated
- Install poppler-data if your want CJK support
- fontforge (with header files)
- git version is recommended to avoid annoying compilation issues
- [Optional] ttfautohint
- run pdf2htmlEX with --external-hint-tool=ttfautohint to enable it
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/coolwanglu/pdf2htmlEX.git cd pdf2htmlEX cmake . && make && sudo make install
pdf2htmlEX /path/to/foobar.pdf pdf2htmlEX --help man pdf2htmlEX
GPLv2 & GPLv3 Dual licensed
pdf2htmlEX is totally free, please credit pdf2htmlEX if you use it
Please consider sponsoring it if you use it for commercial purpose
Font extraction, conversion or redistribution may be illegal, please check your local laws
pdf2htmlEX is made possible thanks to the following projects:
pdf2htmlEX is inspired by the following projects:
- pdftops & pdftohtml from poppler
- Google Doc
Mailing list email@example.com
- Please read FAQ before sending emails. Or your message might be ignored.
- Please use the latest master branch.
Lu Wang firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please use the mailing list above unless for personal enquiries.
- Accepting messages in Chinese, English or Japanese.