To get started, checkout http://getbootstrap.com!
Three quick start options are available:
- Download the latest release.
- Clone the repo:
git clone git://github.com/jlong/sass-twitter-bootstrap.git.
- Install with Bower:
bower install --save sass-bootstrap.
You can use the SASS Twitter Bootstrap by dropping the compiled CSS into any new project and start cranking.
Because SASS always outputs standard css, just link to the final output like normal:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="bootstrap-2.3.2.css">
For more info, refer to the docs!
SASS: Basic modification
You can learn more about SASS at:
SASS runs as a local GEM on your system. You can run
sass --watch lib/bootstrap.scss:bootstrap-2.3.2.css
For transparency and insight into our release cycle, and for striving to maintain backward compatibility, Bootstrap will be maintained under the Semantic Versioning guidelines as much as possible.
Releases will be numbered with the following format:
And constructed with the following guidelines:
- Breaking backward compatibility bumps the major (and resets the minor and patch)
- New additions without breaking backward compatibility bumps the minor (and resets the patch)
- Bug fixes and misc changes bumps the patch
For more information on SemVer, please visit http://semver.org/.
Keep track of development and community news.
- Follow @twbootstrap on Twitter.
- Read and subscribe to the The Official Twitter Bootstrap Blog.
- Have a question that's not a feature request or bug report? Ask on the mailing list.
- Chat with fellow Bootstrappers in IRC. On the
irc.freenode.netserver, in the
We have included a Rakefile with convenience methods for working with the SASS Bootstrap library.
rake buildThis will run the less compiler on the bootstrap lib and regenerate the docs dir. The lessc compiler is required for this command to run.
rake watchThis is a convenience method for watching your Sass files and automatically building them whenever you save.
$ npm install
When completed, you'll be able to run the various make commands provided:
Runs the recess compiler to rebuild the
/less files and compiles the docs. Requires recess and uglify-js.
Runs jshint and qunit tests headlessly in phantomjs (used for ci). Depends on having phantomjs installed.
This is a convenience method for watching just Less files and automatically building them whenever you save. Requires the Watchr gem.
Should you encounter problems with installing dependencies or running the makefile commands, be sure to first uninstall any previous versions (global and local) you may have installed, and then rerun
SASS: Conversion less to Sass
The Twitter Bootstrap was lovingly converted to Sass by:
John W. Long
SASS: Conversion Quick Tips
- replace @ with $
- replace . with @include for mixins
- add !default to variable definitions
- replace #gradient > .vertical with @include gradient-vertical
- replace #grid > .style with @include grid-style
- use grid-core and grid-fluid mixins instead of #grid > .core and #grid > .fluid
- use font-shorthand instead of #font > .shorthand
- replace fadein with fade-in
- move @import for reset below mixins, because it uses tab-focus mixin in bootstrap.scss
- explicitly provide .clearfix, .hide-text and .input-block-level for compatibility with LESS output
- pass grid-* mixin arguments to generators, because otherwise the generator mixins will use the default variables pull transition definition into variable
SASS: Installation via Composer
If you already use Composer, the php dependency manager, installing sass-twitter-bootstrap is as simple as typing :
composer.phar require jlong/sass-twitter-bootstrap:x.y.z
This will install version x.y.z from packagist.org
You'll probably want to make sure you get minor updates, like this:
composer.phar require jlong/sass-twitter-bootstrap:~x.y.z
or like this:
composer.phar require jlong/sass-twitter-bootstrap:x.y.*
Copyright and license
Copyright 2012 Twitter, Inc.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this work except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License in the LICENSE file, or at:
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.