WDI PROJECT 1 - COMMUTER BUDDY
Commuter Cal is a 'set it and forget it' web app that enablescommuters with irregular schedules to easily plan their commutes using public transportion. After making a Commuter Cal account and connecting it to their Google account (support for other calednar services coming soon), Commuter Cal will automatically scan a users online calendar for appointments in their destination city, and will automatically add the appropriate options for inbound and outband train and/or bus rides.
User will be able to create account DONE, login, authenticate to their google calendar.
User will select a 'home station' and a 'destination station.
User will be able to select from their list of google calendars which calendar(s) they want to auto-scan for city appointments.
User will be able to designate a google calendar for train trips. (By default, trips will go on the same cal as the city appointment. This may be messy.)
App will discover three possible pre-appointment commuter train trips from home to city, and three possible post-appointment commuter train trips from city to home. These will be added to the google calendar at the appropriate times. The events will show total running time, any mid-transit transfers (and layover time at transfer station).
- Google OAuth
- Google calendar API
- possibly the official Google API gem to access google calendar
- possibly various other google calendar gems
- GTFS data
- NJ transit GTFS data(zip file) to be downloaded from NJ transit daily.
- Google Calendar read
- User google account authenticate DONE w/timeout bug
- Google calendar access DONE w/timeout bug
- scanning google calendar to find 'city appointments' (with data models)
- GTFS process
- manually seed zip file DONE
- possibly manually unpack zip file and parse into usable information (with data models) DONE
- pull three pre- and three post-appointment train rides per appointment
- Google Calendar write
- push six appointments to new google calendar events
MVP User Interaction
- User Authentication DONE
- User Authentication to Google DONE
- User google calendar selections for auto-scan
- Style it pretty like
- GTFS update automation
- auto-pull and unpackage zip file daily
- Other user preferences (number of train trips to add)
- User google calendar selection for writing of train times
- logic and preferences for multiple home stations, avoiding transfers, etc