Fix Twitter is a browser extension that fixes dumb things about Twitter and TweetDeck on the web.
- Always show “replying to” in replies and threads.
- Enable old school @-mention replies.
https://t.colinks with the original URLs (wherever possible).
- Hide in-case-you-missed notifications.
Fix Twitter is available to install for:
To manually install this extension for Chrome:
- Either (A) download and unzip the files or (B) clone this repository where you want to store this extension:
cd ~/Downloads/ git clone email@example.com:jonsuh/fix-twitter.git
- Chrome Preferences > Extensions (Make sure Developer mode is checked at the top right)
- Select Load unpacked extension..., then navigate to and select the directory where you unzipped/cloned this repository.
- Should replace most but not all
https://t.colinks—it only replaces ones where the data of the original URL is available in the markup (e.g.
<a href="https://t.co/blahblah" data-extended-url="http://original-url.com">)
- Runs in the background and only executes in tabs open to twitter.com or tweetdeck.twitter.com.
- Runs every 3 seconds (polling interval customizable in options). Only shows hidden “replying to” that haven’t already been restored, and only replaces new
t.colinks that haven’t already been changed (i.e. when you first load twitter.com, navigate to a new page, open a modal, load more tweets, etc.)
- Permission is listed as being able to “Read and change your data on tweetdeck.twitter.com and twitter.com” but none of your data is being read, stored, sent or otherwise by me or anyone else. If you’re curious or skeptical, see the
background.jsto see what’s happening under the hood.
If you use Tweetbot for Mac, you can also replace
t.co links by running the following in Terminal:
# Tweetbot 2 defaults write com.tapbots.TweetbotMac OpenURLsDirectly YES # Tweetbot 3 defaults write com.tapbots.Tweetbot3Mac OpenURLsDirectly YES
The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) 2017-2018 Jonathan Suh
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.