(In its early days :) called PhonyNumber)
This Gem adds useful methods to your Rails app to validate, display and save phone numbers. It uses the super awesome Phony gem (https://github.com/floere/phony).
Add this line to your application's Gemfile:
And then execute:
Or install it yourself as:
$ gem install phony_rails
Normalization / ActiveRecord Extension
In your model add:
class SomeModel < ActiveRecord::Base # Normalizes the attribute itself before validation phony_normalize :phone_number, :default_country_code => 'US' # Normalizes attribute before validation and saves into other attribute phony_normalize :phone_number, :as => :phone_number_normalized_version, :default_country_code => 'US' # Creates method normalized_fax_number that returns the normalized version of fax_number phony_normalized_method :fax_number end
:default_country_code options is used to specify a country_code when normalizing.
PhonyRails will also check your model for a country_code method to use when normalizing the number. So
country_code 'NL' will get normalized to
In your model use the Phony.plausible method to validate an attribute:
validates :phone_number, :phony_plausible => true
or the helper method:
this method use other validators under the hood to provide:
- presence validation using
- format validation using
so we can use:
validates_plausible_phone :phone_number, :presence => true validates_plausible_phone :phone_number, :with => /^\+\d+/ validates_plausible_phone :phone_number, :without => /^\+\d+/ validates_plausible_phone :phone_number, :presence => true, :with => /^\+\d+/
the i18n key is
Display / Views
In your views use:
<%= "some number string variable".phony_formatted(:format => :international, :spaces => '-') %>
Find by normalized number
Say you want to find a record by a phone number. Best is to normalize user input and compare to an attribute stored in the db.
- Changes from henning-koch.
- Some pending fixes.
- Improved validation methods by ddidier.
- Added :as option to phony_normalize.
- some tests and a helper method by ddidier.
- Using countries gem as suggested by brutuscat.
- Fixes bugs mentioned by ddidier.
- Added specs.
- Same fix as 0.0.9 but for phony_formatted method.
- Fix for using same options Hash for all models.
- Improved number cleaning not to remove '+' and leading 0's. Now works with national numbers starting with 0 followed by country_code. Eg. 032 in BE.
- Fixed problem with '+' number
- Fixed problem with '070-4157134' being parsed as US number
- Make this work: Home.find_by_normalized_phone_number(Home.normalize_number(params[:phone_number])) So we use Home.normalize_number instead of PhonyRails.normalize_number. This way we can use the same default_country_code.
- Make country_code method configurable.
- Fork it
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Added some feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-feature)
- Create new Pull Request
Thanks to all contributors: ddidier, brutuscat, henning-koch.