Design and Roadmap
Clone this wiki locally
ArduinoX (current name is temporary) is a next generate IDE for Arduino. It is meant to do everything the current IDE can do but with a better out of the box user experience. It should have a modern feel, be attractive, adhere to modern UI guidelines, and be easier to use. In particular it should address long standing usability problems with the official IDE.
Here are a few examples of things we want to address:
- a better editor with a nice anti-aliased font, line numbers, and proper platform specific keybindings (like the emacs nav keys on Mac OS X).
- when working with multiple sketches it is easy to forget which sketch goes with which device and serial port
- it is very difficult to use multiple serial ports at once
- it is hard to search example code. You have to open the example to learn what it does, resulting in lots of extraneous windows.
- there is no update mechanism to receive settings for new boards and examples, especially non-official Arduino boards.
- there is no way to discover and search 3rd party libraries
- there is little documentation about arduino in the IDE. You have to go to the website.
These problems and more should be addressed by ArduinoX