- Josh McIntyre
- MnemonicGen creates BIP39-compliant seed phrases for Bitcoin/Bitcoin Cash wallets
- master for releases (merge development)
- development for bugfixes and new features
- make build Build the application
- make clean Clean the build directory
- Generate a 12-word BIP39-compliant mnemonic seed phrase in English
- Print this seed phrase on the command line for backup/wallet creation
- Requires Python with bitstring
pip install bitstringif it is not already available
Command line usage
- From the command line in the build directory, run
- Write down the mnemonic phrase in order
- Import the seed phrase into a modern HD (Hierarchical Deterministic) Bitcoin/Bitcoin Cash wallet. Examples include the Bitcoin.com wallet, Blockchain.info, or Electron Cash
- PLEASE NOTE - Every effort is made to learn and follow best practices in the development of this software. However, this code should be considered academic/experimental. Use at your own risk.
- Always store your seed phrase in a secure location. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe, or use an encrypted password manager.
- This tool does not require any network connectivity. Consider running offline to mitigate eavesdropping.
- This tool uses Python's os.urandom to generate entropy for the seed. The underlying OS implementation determines the level of security. (/dev/urandom on Unix-based systems, CryptGenRandom() on Windows). It may be best to avoid using fresh machines or VM's as insufficient entropy may be used to generate a less-secure seed.