XScreenSaver 1-Click Toggle
by Josh Panter Unfettered
A simple script that toggles the XScreenSaver state on/off
Caffeine has been broken for a while, and this provides a simple solution to toggling the state of the system screen saver. It cleanly turns it off if it is running, and simply turns it on if it's not, while providing you a little notification about which action it just did. There is no automation, perhaps that can come in later. For now, this is just a clean, simple toggle.
- XScreenSaver up and running on your system
- pidof - standard on most linux distros
- libNotify - standard on many modern linux distros
Installation and example use
- Download and extract the files of this repostiory to your home directory. Perhaps append the directory name with a dot in order to hide it from normal use.
- Either take note of the path to, or place toggle-xscreensaver.sh and power_switch.png in a location of your choosing.
- Open Toggle-XScreenSaver.desktop and edit lines 7 & 10 to reflect those paths.
- Save Toggle-XScreenSaver.desktop to .local/share/applications/Toggle-XScreenSaver.desktop (perhaps put a copy on your desktop)
- Look for new app in your applications list, favorite it, profit.
All of my published code is developed and maintained in spare time, if you would like to support development of this, or any of my published code, I have set up a Liberpay account for just this purpose. Thank you.
Copyright (C) 2016 Josh Panter This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.