pkgsrc is a framework for building software for a variety of UNIX-like systems.
It produces binary packages, which can be managed with tools such as
pkgin. pkgsrc is highly configurable, supporting
building packages for an arbitrary installation prefix (the default is
/usr/pkg), allowing multiple branches to coexist on one machine, a
build options framework, and a compiler transformation framework, among
other advanced features. Unprivileged use and installation is also supported.
To use pkgsrc on operating systems other than NetBSD, you first need to bootstrap:
cd pkgsrc/bootstrap ./bootstrap
Note that this is only for the most simple case, using pkgsrc's defaults.
bootstrap/README.OS for detailed
information about bootstrapping.
cd pkgsrc/category/package-name $PREFIX/bin/bmake install
$PREFIX is where you've chosen to install packages
bmake is simply the built-in
To build packages in bulk, tools such as
pkgtools/pkg_comp can be used.
Community / Troubleshooting
- Join the community IRC channel #pkgsrc @ libera.chat.
- Join the community Matrix room #pkgsrc:nil.im
- Subscribe to the pkgsrc-users mailing list
- Send bugs and patches via web form (use the
To fetch the main CVS repository:
cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot checkout -P pkgsrc
To work in the Git mirror, which is updated every few hours from CVS:
git clone https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc.git
- pkgsrc guide - the authoritative document on pkgsrc, also available as
- pkgsrc in the NetBSD Wiki - miscellaneous articles and tutorials
- pkgsrc.se - a searchable web index of pkgsrc
- pkgsrc-wip - a project to get more people actively involved with creating packages for pkgsrc
- pkgsrc on Twitter - announcements to the world
- pkgsrcCon - we get together
- BulkTracker - a web application that tracks pkgsrc bulk builds