BookReader (plugin for Omeka)
This plugin adds Internet Archive BookReader into Omeka. The IA BookReader is used to view books from the Internet Archive online and can also be used to view other books. BookReader plugin for Omeka allows you to create online flip book from image files constituting an item.
- Upload the BookReader plugin folder into your plugins folder on the server;
- Activate it from the admin → Settings → Plugins page
- Click the Configure link to add the following
- URL for custom CSS
- Favicon URL for viewer (reader) pages
- URL for custom php library (default is BookReaderCustom.php)
- Sorting mode for the viewer (omeka default order or original filename order)
- Number of pages in Embed mode (1 or 2)
- Embed all functions (0 for none or 1 for all)
- The width of the inline frame (Embedded Simple Viewer)
- The height of the inline frame (Embedded Simple Viewer)
The viewer is always available at
If you want to embed it, add this code in the item/show.php file of your theme:
<?php fire_plugin_hook('book_reader_item_show', array( 'view' => $this, 'item' => $item, 'page' => '0', 'embed_functions' => false, 'mode_page' => 1, )); ?>
If an option is not set, the parameters in the config page will be used. Image number starts from '0' with default functions.
Using the BookReader Plugin
- Create an item
- Add some image files to this item
- Add eventually PDF file to this item (PDF file should be consist of the same images uploaded in previous step)
The extract ocr and pdfToc plugins are highly recommended.
- Extract ocr allows fulltext searching inside a flip book. To enable it in BookReader, you need to overwrite Bookreader/libraries/BookReaderCustom.php using Bookreader/libraries/BookReaderCustom_extractOCR.php
- PDF Toc retrieves table of contents from pdf file associated to an item
See online BookReader issues.
This plugin is published under GNU/GPL.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
- Julien Sicot (see jsicot) (original plugin)
- Daniel Berthereau (see Daniel-KM) (upgrade for Omeka 2.0)
The source code of Internet Archive BookReader is licensed under AGPL v3, as described in the LICENSE file.
- Copyright Internet Archive, 2008-2009
BookReader Omeka plugin:
- Copyright Julien Sicot, 2011-2012
- Copyright Daniel Berthereau, 2013 (upgrade for Omeka 2.0)