Parcel.js Sample Project
For the Parcel project at https://parceljs.org/.
I just discovered this today (11 Feb 2020) and had this sample project up and running in 5 minutes (including typos).
Seriously worth considering from front-end development as an alternative to the bloat of webpack.
It's super simple:
- Run `npm init -y` to setup Node Package Manager and create the packages.json file.
- Run `npm install parcel --save-dev` to install parcel locally. This is a better option than global because you're kind of self-documenting the dependency in packages.json for other project developers.
- Create your site code code that need to compile.
- Run `parcel server src/index.html` from the terminal. Nope, that doesn't work when installed locally. So go to the next step
- So add the "dev" and "test" scripts you'll see in the package.json file. Then you just need to run `npm run dev` in development to build the site and setup the local server. Everything gets bundled into a new "dist" folder.
If you read the documentation you'll see both "parcel" and "parcel-bundler" packages references. Wondering what the difference is? Me too. I searched "npm install parcel-bundler vs parcel" and come across https://github.com/parcel-bundler/parcel/issues/2360