Deft: Easy Distributed Feature Tracking
Deft is a simple distributed feature tracker (aka issue tracker, task tracker) designed to work with a distributed version control system such as Git.
Goals / Principles
- all features have status (e.g. new, in-development, ready-for-testing, ready-for-deployment)
- absolute prioritisation of features that have the same status
- store feature database alongside the code in VCS, not in another tool
- store the feature database in plain-text files that play well with VCS and diff/merge tools
- don't re-implement functionality that is already in the VCS
Deft is in an early stage of development so there's no convenient installer yet. To get it up and running:
- Make sure you have Python 2.7 and virtualenv installed
- Check out the repo
make envto create a python environment for development
maketo run all the tests.
dev-deftscript will run deft from the development environment, so you don't need to install anything by hand. Run
dev-deft --helpfor help.
Now read the Quickstart Guide.
Issues are tracked with Deft itself. If you want to raise issues:
- Fork the repo & check it out locally
- Follow the 'Getting Started' steps
- use the
./dev-deftcommand to create a new issue
- commit the new issue
- send a pull request
Yes... there should be a tool to make this process simpler and easy for a project's users to do.