Jupyter Kernel Gateway
The kernel gateway is a web server that supports different mechanisms for spawning and communicating with Jupyter kernels, such as:
- A Jupyter Notebook server-compatible HTTP API used for requesting kernels and talking the Jupyter kernel protocol with the kernels over Websockets
- A HTTP API defined by annotated notebook cells that maps HTTP verbs and resources to code to execute on a kernel
Example Uses of Kernel Gateway
- Attach a local Jupyter Notebook server to a compute cluster in the cloud running near big data (e.g., interactive gateway to Spark)
- Enable a new breed of non-notebook web clients to provision and use kernels (e.g., web dashboards using jupyter-js-services)
- Create microservices from notebooks using the Kernel Gateway
See the Features page in the documentation for a list of the Jupyter Kernel Gateway features.
Detailed installation instructions are located in the
Getting Started page
of the project docs. Here's a quick start using
# install from pypi pip install jupyter_kernel_gateway # show all config options jupyter kernelgateway --help-all # run it with default options jupyter kernelgateway
The Development page includes information about setting up a development environment and typical developer tasks.