Laptop is a script to set up a Mac OS X laptop for Rails development.
- Install a C compiler, such as GCC, LLVM, or Clang.
- Set zsh as your login shell.
To change your login shell run this from a Terminal:
chsh -s /bin/zsh
- Install Git.
Download and install latest version of git
Run the script:
zsh < <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jyeung001/laptop/master/mac)
What it sets up
- Ack for finding things in files
- Bundler gem for managing Ruby libraries
- Foreman gem for serving Rails apps locally
- Heroku gem for interacting with the Heroku API
- Heroku Config plugin for local
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries
- ImageMagick for cropping and resizing images
- Postgres an open source DB (make sure you follow installation instructions)
- Postgres gem for talking to Postgres from Ruby
- Rails gem for writing web applications
- Ruby 2.1.0 stable for writing general-purpose code
- RVM for managing versions of the Ruby programming language
- SSH public key for authenticating with Github and Heroku
- Tmux for saving project state and switching between projects
It should take less than 30 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
- Send your SHH public key to the Git admin
- Download and install latest version of pgAdmin (version 1.14.0+)