After over a year since its initial conception, we are proud to announce that K3s has reached v1.0.0. This release denotes a focus on stability and quality moving forward, while still delivering new and useful features.
K3s is a fully conformant Kubernetes distribution that focuses on presenting a small footprint and ease of operation. K3s packages the entire Kubernetes stack into a single binary, including:
- Kubernetes master components: kube-apiserver, kube-scheduler, kube-controller-manager, and cloud-controller-manager
- Kubernetes node components: kubelet and kube-proxy
- containerd as the container runtime
- CoreDNS for cluster DNS
- Flannel for cluster networking
- CLI utilities including kubectl, crictl, and ctr
- An embedded SQLite database that replaces etcd
K3s also packages features that deliver value beyond the baseline Kubernetes stack, including:
- The Traefik ingress-controller
- A service load balancer implementation backed by Traefik
- Our local path provisioner storage driver
- Our novel Kubernetes datastore interface KINE that allows you to choose a datastore backend that best fits your use case, including: SQLite, DQLite, MySQL, Postgres, and etcd.
- Our helm-controller that provides a CRD and controller paradigm for managing helm charts
- Encrypted networking backed IPSec or Wireguard
This is all brought to you in a single binary that is less than 50 MB and runs on amd64, arm64, and armhf architectures.
Enhancements and Bug Fixes since v0.10.2
Please see the v1.0 milestone for a list of all issues addressed since our last release v0.10.x
This version of K3s runs Kubernetes v1.16.3
As always, we welcome and appreciate feedback from our community of users. Please feel free to: