mxisd - Federated Matrix Identity Server
mxisd is a Federated Matrix Identity server for self-hosted Matrix infrastructures with enhanced features. As an enhanced Identity service, it implements the Identity service API and several extra features that greatly enhance user experience within Matrix. It is the one stop shop for anything regarding Authentication, Directory and Identity management in Matrix built in a single coherent product.
mxisd is specifically designed to connect to an existing on-premise Identity store (AD/Samba/LDAP, SQL Database,
Web services/app, etc.) and ease the integration of a Matrix infrastructure within an existing one.
Check our FAQ entry to know if mxisd is a good fit for you.
The core principle of mxisd is to map between Matrix IDs and 3PIDs (Third-Party IDentifiers) for the Homeserver and its users. 3PIDs can be anything that uniquely and globally identify a user, like:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Skype/Live ID
- Twitter handle
- Facebook ID
If you are unfamiliar with the Identity vocabulary and concepts in Matrix, please read this introduction.
- Search for people by 3PID using its own Identity stores (Spec)
- Invite people to rooms by 3PID using its own Identity stores, with notifications to the invitee (Email, SMS, etc.) (Spec)
- Allow users to add 3PIDs to their settings/profile (Spec)
- Register accounts on your Homeserver with 3PIDs (Spec)
As an enhanced Identity service:
- Federation: Use a recursive lookup mechanism when searching and inviting people by 3PID,
allowing to fetch data from:
- Own Identity store(s)
- Federated Identity servers, if applicable to the 3PID
- Arbitrary Identity servers
- Central Matrix Identity servers
- Session Control: Extensive control of where 3PIDs are transmitted so they are not leaked publicly by users
- Registration control: Control and restrict user registration based on 3PID patterns or criterias, like a pending invite
- Authentication: Use your Identity stores to perform authentication in synapse via the REST password provider
- Directory search which allows you to search for users within your organisation, even without prior contact within Matrix using arbitrary search terms
- Auto-fill of user profile (Display name, 3PIDs)
- Bridge Integration: Automatically bridge users without a published Matrix ID
- Use your existing Identity stores, do not duplicate your users information
- Auto-fill user profiles with relevant information
- As an organisation, stay in control of your data so it is not published to other servers by default where they currently cannot be removed
- Users can directly find each other using whatever attribute is relevant within your Identity store
- Federate your Identity server so you can discover others and/or others can discover you
Also, check our FAQ entry to know if mxisd is a good fit for you.
See the dedicated document
A basic troubleshooting guide is available here.
If you would prefer professional support/custom development for mxisd and/or for Matrix in general, including other open source technologies/products:
- Visit our website to get in touch with us and get a quote.
- Come in our general Matrix room: #kamax-matrix:kamax.io
You can contribute as a community member by:
- Giving us feedback about your usage of mxisd, even if it seems unimportant or if all is working well!
- Opening issues for any weird behaviour or bug. mxisd should feel natural, let us know if it does not!
- Helping us improve the documentation: tell us what is good or not good (in an issue or in Matrix), or make a PR with changes you feel improve the doc.
- Contribute code directly: we love contributors! All your contributions will be licensed under AGPLv3.
- Donate! Any donation is welcome, regardless how small or big, and will directly be used for the fixed costs and developer time of mxisd.
You can contribute as an organisation/corporation by:
- Get a support contract. This is the best way you can help us as it ensures mxisd is maintained regularly and you get direct access to the support team.
- Sponsoring new features or bug fixes. Get in touch so we can discuss it further.
Powered by mxisd
The following projects use mxisd under the hood for some or all their features. Check them out!
See the dedicated document
Get in touch via: