After google decided to focus on its core project and shut down the reader, I seeked a replacement. While I found selfoss, I also set out to write my own RSS-reader. Given my notorious lack of time, this is actually quite good...
Given a linux-shell, git and python:
- Clone from github:
git clone <cloneurl>
- cd into myfeeder:
- create a virtual environment:
- activate the virtual environment:
- install requirements:
pip install -r requirements.txt
- initialize the db:
python manage.py syncdb --migrate
- create a first superuser:
python manage.py createsuperuser
- run the webserver:
python manage.py runserver
- start your browser and access the webserver as shown in the output from above and append 'reader/' to the url
- click on the admin-link to log in as your admin-user and add feeds.
- run the cron-job on the commandline to fetch the feeds:
python manage.py runjobs hourly
Seems a bit complicated. But its not finished. And its only for me so I don't forget till the next time...