How to translate Kanboard to a new language?
- Translations are stored inside the directory
- There is a subdirectory for each language, for example in French we have
- A translation is a PHP file that returns an Array with a key-value pairs
- The key is the original text in English and the value is the translation of the corresponding language
- French translations are always up to date
- Always use the last version (branch master)
Create a new translation:
- Make a new directory:
app/Locale/fr_CAfor French Canadian
- Create a new file for the translation:
- Use the content of the French locales and replace the values
- Update the file
- Check with your local installation of Kanboard if everything is OK
- Send a pull-request with Github
How to update an existing translation?
- Open the translation file
- Missing translations are commented with
//and the values are empty, just fill blank and remove the comment
- Check with your local installation of Kanboard and send a pull-request
How to add new translated text in the application?
Translations are displayed with the following functions in the source code:
t(): display text with HTML escaping
e(): display text without HTML escaping
Always use the english version in the source code.
Text strings use the function
sprintf() to replace elements:
%sis used to replace a string
%dis used to replace an integer
All formats are available in the PHP documentation.
How to find missing translations in the applications?
From a terminal, run the following command:
All missing and unused translations are displayed on the screen. Put that in the French locale and sync other locales (see below).
How to synchronize translation files?
From a Unix shell run this command:
The French translation is used a reference to other locales.