Read news from multiple sources within Slack by just typing
From any Slack channel, just type
/news [source]. The news will be shown on the same channel.
- Hackers News (
- Product Hunt (
Setup your own server
Make sure to change the Slash Command URL to whatever your URL is.
$ heroku config:set SLACK_WEBHOOK_URL=<URL> $ heroku config:set PH_TOKEN=<PRODUCTHUNT TOKEN>
$ git clone email@example.com:karan/slack-news.git $ cd slack-news $ npm install $ export SLACK_WEBHOOK_URL=<URL> $ export PH_TOKEN=<PRODUCTHUNT TOKEN> $ node app.js
SLACK_WEBHOOK_URLwill be found after setting up Incoming WebHooks. (See below)
- Retrieve Product Hunt token from https://www.producthunt.com/v1/oauth/applications
- Go to your channel
- Click on Configure Integrations.
- Scroll all the way down to DIY Integrations & Customizations section.
Add a new slash command with the following settings:
All other settings can be set on your own discretion.
Set up a new incoming webhook
Click on Add next to Incoming WebHooks.
- Choose a channel to integrate with (this doesn't matter -- it'll always respond to the channel you called it from)
- Note the new Webhook URL.
Please use the issue tracker to report any bugs or file feature requests.
PRs to add new sources are welcome. Please make sure to test each source you add and try to follow the coding style.