The GetSparks.org CodeIgniter Respository
This project is the repository at getsparks.org that will likely act as the central location for holding user-contributed CodeIgniter information.
Why Package Management For CodeIgniter?
There's been a lot of positive feedback surrounding this project, but here are the core reasons that this would be extensively valuable:
- The community will be able to more actively contribute to CodeIgniter. Write a great library, and contribute it as a 'spark' for everyone to use.
- It's a central place for easy-to-install CodeIgntiter libraries. No more googling, scraping blogs, wikis, and other websites for functionality that might not even work.
- The Reactor Core won't have to take on superfluous new libraries. Reactor will stay a light, ultra-fast framework, will developers are free to add on to it via sparks.
- GetSparks.org will have a rating and comment system. The best libraries will rise to the top, and become featured on the site.
The Management System
The Spark management system is being developed under a second project, at https://github.com/seejohnrun/sparks. That is the actual CLI package manager which is currently being integrated into the CodeIgniter core.
Project Info & Management
This project is currently managed via the publicly-visible getsparks lighthouse account.
Getting Set Up Locally
This is a standard CodeIgniter App.
- Clone the repository into a webroot of yours
- Set up your database (latest schema is in sql/)
- Edit your database.php and config.php configurations
If you'd like to join, send an email explaining why to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alpha Release, week of Feb 21st, 2011.
- Beta Release, week of March 28, 2011.
- Full Public Release, unscheduled
- Reactor Integration, begun.
To hear Kenny & John talk about why CodeIgniter needs this, check out this podcast: Episode #2: CodeIgniter Reactor, and Our Devious Plans