This is a LaTeX document class to make you life easier when writing work term reports for the University of Waterloo.
This class was originally written by Simon Law, and was available at: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~sfllaw/programs/uw-wkrpt/. It is now also available at: http://sfllaw.ca/programs/uw-wkrpt/
I have made some improvements and updates to bring this class more in line with the current work report guidelines. If you notice any issues or inconsistencies with the guidlines, please let me know, or send a pull request!
If you do not know LaTeX, please learn! It is not too difficult to use, and is really quite helpful. You can read the workreport-sample.pdf file included in this tarball, as well as: "A not so short introduction to LaTeX2e: or LaTeX2e in 113 minutes": http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/
To generate the class files, simply run:
This will generate uw-wkrpt.cls, which you can use to write your work report.
On a Windows system, to generate the cls file:
> latex uw-wkrpt.ins
Note that if you change any of the *.dtx files, the cls will need to be regenerated.
uw-wkrpt now has an installation system. If you are on a Unix-like system, and have a complete TeX system, find where your texmf root is. This should typically be /usr/share/texmf which implies that installing is as easy as running:
# make DESTDIR=/usr/share install
On some systems, PDFTeX is set to output to A4 paper, even though we have set the default to letterpaper. This is sad, and can be worked around. If you are running Debian GNU/Linux, you should run texconfig and change the PAPER option in the XDVI, DVIPS, DVIPDFM, and PDFTEX settings. Otherwise, find the "pdftex.cfg" file which usually lives in /etc/texmf/pdftex/pdftex.cfg. Make sure it has these two lines:
page_width 8.5 true in page_height 11 true in
You will want to comment out any other instances of page_width and page_height by using the % character.
There are several examples included:
- The README.md file is the one you are reading now.
- The NEWS file is a list of interesting things that have changed since the last release (before this class was under version control).
- The ChangeLog file is a record of the changes made to the software (before this class was under version control).
- LICENSE contains a copy of the GNU General Public License.
- uw-wkrpt.ins is the docstrip installer.
- uw-wkrpt.dtx is the docstrip document that contains the entire uw-wkrpt package.
- uw-wkrpt-*.tex are example documents written using uw-wkrpt.cls. It illustrates the way to write a document, and tries to adhere as closely to the guidelines as possible.
- uw-wkrpt.bib is the bibliography or references list that is imported by the example reports.
- don-hires.pdf is a picture of Donald E. Knuth, acquired from his website and used in workreport-sample.tex.
Other Useful Packages
You may wish to load some other useful packages to make your life
simpler, and your work report nicer. After the
line, just add
foo is the package name.
- acronym: for spelling out acronyms in full, the first time only.
- longtable: for tabular environments that break pages.
- tabularx: for tabular environments that know how wide they are.
- ltxtable: for a merge of longtable and tabularx, which may not work.
- times, mathptm: For using the Times font in your text and math.