Unity MIDI Bridge
Unity MIDI Bridge is a C# plug-in for Unity that provides APIs for communicating with MIDI devices. It sends and receives MIDI messages via the bridge software and doesn't need to deal with any native code. It means that you can access to the MIDI devices without Unity Pro license.
- Unity 4 (Basic or Pro)
- This plug-in runs only on the desktop platforms (Windows or Mac OS X).
You can find some sample projects in the [test branch] (https://github.com/keijiro/unity-midi-bridge/tree/test). These sample projects demonstrate functionalities and features of the plug-in.
Importing C# files
Import the C# source files (MidiBridge.cs, MidiInput.cs and MidiOut.cs). You can simply drag and drop these files into the project view on Unity.
Extract the archive file (midi-bridge-osx.zip or midi-bridge-windows.zip) and run "MIDI Bridge" which is in it.
Scripting Reference: MidiInput
You can omit channel arguments from these methods. In this case it returns the union of the all channels.
GetKey (channel, noteNumber)
Returns the state of the key. If the key is "on", it returns the velocity value (more than zero, up to 1.0f). If the key is "off", it returns zero.
GetKeyDown (channel, noteNumber)
Returns true only if the key was pressed down in the current frame.
GetKeyUp (channel, noteNumber)
Returns true only if the key was released in the current frame.
GetKnob (channel, knobNumber)
Returns the current knob (CC) value which will be between 0.0f and 1.0f.
Provides the list of knob (CC) numbers that has sent any CC messages.
Scripting Reference: MidiOut
SendNoteOn (channel, noteNumber, velocity)
Sends a note-on message to the specified channel with a note number and a velocity value. The velocity value must be more than zero and up to 1.0f.
SendNoteOff (channel, noteNumber)
Sends a note-off message to the specified channel with a note number.
SendControlChange (channel, controllerNumber, value)
Sends a control-change (CC) message to the specified channel with a controller number. The value must be between 0.0f and 1.0f.
MIDI Bridge for Mac OS X
MIDI Bridge for Mac OS X is a kind of menu bar app which relays MIDI messages between Unity and MIDI devices.
Simply run "MIDI Bridge" and then it appears as a status menu item on the top-right corder of the screen. You can click the icon and it opens the function menu. It shows the device list available at the moment, and provides some other functionality.
You can select the destination device from the "MIDI Destinations" list. All outgoing MIDI messages are delivered to it.
MIDI Bridge for Windows
MIDI Bridge for Windows (MidiBridge.exe) is a command line application to relay MIDI messages between Unity and MIDI devices.
Basically, what you need to do is just run the application. It captures the all MIDI devices available on the launch and shows the list of these devices.
There are few points you have to take care.
- Every time you change the configuration (plug a new MIDI device, disconnect a device from the computer, etc.), it have to be restarted. You can restart the bridge internally by pressing down the enter key, or simply close and relaunch the application.
- Sometimes you may want to free a MIDI device to share it with other applications. In this case you have to use the interactive mode (see below), or run the application before launching MidiBridge and capture the device in advance.
- It sends outgoing messages to the all active output devices.
You can run MidiBridge in the interactive mode by giving "/i" or "-i" option. In this mode you can control MidiBridge at runtime from the console.
There are few commands you can use in this mode. You can input these commands entirely or just the first character of the command.
- ID - activates/deactivates the specified device.
- scan - rescans and shows the all devices.
- reset - resets and recaptures the all devices.
- log - pops up the log viewer. Press the enter key to return to the command line.
- quit - terminates the bridge.
- [github.com/keijiro/midi-bridge-osx] (https://github.com/keijiro/midi-bridge-osx) - MIDI Bridge for OS X
- [github.com/keijiro/midi-bridge-windows] (https://github.com/keijiro/midi-bridge-windows) - MIDI Bridge for Windows
Copyright (C) 2013 Keijiro Takahashi
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.