This is the bulk of the codebase behind http://orng.us.
I've decided to open source much of the code, so others can learn from it and/or use it to build their own version.
What does Orng.us do?
The site performs four simple tasks:
- It's a URL shortener
- It's a file sharing site
- It lets you easily share Markdown-formatted text
- It's a smple pastebin for some popular web languages
How to set it up:
If you want to set up the Orng.us code for your own use, you'll need to do a few things first:
- Edit the
app-config.jsonfile and enter yoru S3 credentails and site site URL.
- Run bundler (
bundle install) to install gems.
- Migrate the database (
- Style it! - Sorry, you get the included Pulp files, but the custom CSS has been removed.
Where to go from here?
There are a few interesting things you could do from here.
- More/better restrictions on S3 uploads
- Upload directly to S3 rather than going through the app
- Mask the S3 URL for downloads
- Switch to MySQL or PgSQL in production.
- Click tracking & analytics
- Add support for more languages to the pastebin
- Add support for revisions to the pastebin
This code is released under a CC Attribution Share-Alike Noncommercial license.