Minutes are kept in a google doc and re-formatted for email publishing.
Google Docs is very convenient to use during the meeting for collaborative editing, but it is a terrible medium for email. It turns out to be a bit tricky to turn the google docs content into plain text email content. While google docs has a feature to export as text, it severely botches the formatting of bulleted lists.
The following steps are used to export the minutes from google and into a text-only email.
- Copy minutes out of google doc
- Paste minutes into LibreOffice Writer
- Copy minutes out of LibreOffice Writer
- Open Vim
- Set paste mode in vim
- Unset paste mode in vim
- Invoke KCI function (see below) to reformat the bullets into plain text
- Run 'gqap' on the wall of text to wrap the lines at 72 characters
- Finally, insert newlines after each topic for readability.
- Create a new email with the following headers, paste the content, and send.
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Weekly Meeting YYYY-MM-DD #minutes
The following function should live in your ~/.vimrc:
function! KCI() %s/^ //g %s/ / /g %s/•/-/g %s/◦/-/g %s/▪/-/g %s/ *$//g endfunction command KCI call KCI()