FSAE Shop Status
A Rails app to see whether people are working in the Columbia Formula SAE shop.
Installation & Usage
You need this hardware to use this app:
- Raspberry Pi (tested with Raspbian)
- Hall-effect sensor
- Duct tape
The Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout is useful.
- Connect the hall-effect sensor to the GPIO's power and an input. Measure the voltage of the output with and without your magnet to make sure it's within 0-3.3 V. (The Pi is not 5-V tolerant! Also, Raspberry Pi's GPIOs have a threshold of about 1.2 V.)
- Tape the sensor to your door frame.
- Tape the magnet to your door so it lines up with the sensor.
- Install Raspbian.
- Install Ruby (I used 2.0.0) and Rails (4.0.0). You should probably use RVM.
sudo apt-get install nodejs
- Install WiringPi using these instructions.
cd into the directory for this app, run
rails server, and visit
Kevin Chen (@kevinchen on Twitter)