self-driving MarioKart with TensorFlow
Driving a new (untrained) section of the Royal Raceway:
Driving Luigi Raceway:
The model was trained with:
- 4 races on Luigi Raceway
- 2 races on Kalimari Desert
- 2 races on Mario Raceway
With even a small training set the model is sometimes able to generalize to a new track (Royal Raceway seen above).
pip install -r requirements.txt
mupen64plus(install via apt-get)
- Start your emulator program (
mupen64plus) and run Mario Kart 64
- Make sure you have a joystick connected and that
mupen64plusis using the sdl input plugin
- Make sure the graph responds to joystick input.
- Position the emulator window so that the image is captured by the program (top left corner)
- Press record and play through a level. You can trim some images off the front and back of the data you collect afterwards (by removing lines in
- the GUI will stop updating while recording to avoid any slow downs.
- double check the samples, sometimes the screenshot is the desktop instead. Remove the appropriate lines from the
python utils.py viewer samples/luigi_raceway to view the samples
Preparing Training Data
python utils.py prepare samples/* with an array of sample directories to build an
y matrix for training. (zsh will expand samples/* to all the directories. Passing a glob directly also works)
X is a 3-Dimensional array of images
y is the expected joystick ouput as an array:
 joystick x axis  joystick y axis  button a  button b  button rb
train.py program will train a model using Google's TensorFlow framework and cuDNN for GPU acceleration. Training can take a while (~1 hour) depending on how much data you are training with. The program will save the model to disk when it is done.
play.py program will take screenshots of your desktop expecting the emulator to be in the top left corner again. These images will be sent to the model to acquire the joystick command to send.
Note - you need to start the emulator a custom input driver in order to pass the output from the AI to the emulator:
mupen64plus --input ~/src/mupen64plus-input-bot/mupen64plus-input-bot.so MarioKart64.z64
Future Work / Ideas:
- could also have a shadow mode where the AI just draws out what it would do rather than sending actions. A real self driving car would have this and use it a lot before letting it take the wheel.
- Add a reinforcement layer based on lap time or other metrics so that the AI can start to teach itself now that it has a baseline
- Deep learning is all about data perhaps a community could form around collecting a large amount of data and pushing the performance of this AI
Special Thanks To
Open a PR! I promise I am friendly :)